Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unix (Solaris) Question

Options
  • 16-11-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

In the past (16 yrs ago) I used to deal quite a bit troubleshooting on Solaris Unix systems and I think there was a command that could be used to stop console messages appearing on a terminal screen when you would telnet to a system, but I cannot remember this command or if I am in fact dreaming.

So wondering if any of the folks here know of such a command.

The type of messages I am talking about are
    Nov 16 12:39:00 xxxxxxxx sendmail[596]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (xxxxxxxx) -- using short name
    Nov 16 12:54:00 xxxxxxxx sendmail[28738]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (xxxxxxxx) -- using short name
    Nov 16 13:09:01 xxxxxxxx sendmail[27641]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (xxxxxxxx) -- using short name
    Nov 16 13:24:01 xxxxxxxx sendmail[26391]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] unable to qualify my own domain name (xxxxxxx) -- using short name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

No, not what I am looking for unfortunately. I have already googled and found this, but 16 yrs ago I think I was using Solaris 5.9 at best and there was no disabling any service. If my memory is correct it was a command that stopped the redirect of the console messages to a telnet window and had to be entered each time we logged in as it only affected that telnet session and lasted until the session was disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

dmesg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

nohup of any use?

Would directing the output to /dev/null work in that situation?

https://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/06/06/what-does-devnull-21-mean/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think people are misunderstanding what is being asked.

I remember I ran in to the exact same problem many years ago, I was connected in to a Solaris machine via serial cable + Windows (XP, probably) via the telnet client and had the exact same problem.

For some reason, Control+W is in my head - does that refresh the screen, removing the messages (until the next message, of course)?

I got it solved, so I know it can be done. There has to be a command to disable it.

• Advertisement

niallb wrote: »
    dmesg ?

No, this is not what I used
    nohup of any use?

Would directing the output to /dev/null work in that situation?

https://www.xaprb.com/blog/2006/06/06/what-does-devnull-21-mean/

I think this might be what was done, but it was a command I ran on the command line and I cannot for the life of me remember what the command was :(
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I think people are misunderstanding what is being asked.

I remember I ran in to the exact same problem many years ago, I was connected in to a Solaris machine via serial cable + Windows (XP, probably) via the telnet client and had the exact same problem.

For some reason, Control+W is in my head - does that refresh the screen, removing the messages (until the next message, of course)?

I got it solved, so I know it can be done. There has to be a command to disable it.

Yes, Ctrl +w was a keystroke which would clear the message and bring you back to where you were before the message messed up your command, but repeatedly doing this was tedious, but I am sure there was a command we used which negated the need to keep typing Ctrl +w when this happened. But it has been 16yrs since I used it :eek:

But I came across this issue last week and was racking my brain to no effect trying to remember the command.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭opus

By any chance is it consadm?
    consadm - select or display devices used as auxiliary console devices

Been quite a while since I much work with Solaris must admit ;)

opus wrote: »
    By any chance is it consadm?

Been quite a while since I much work with Solaris must admit ;)

No, that's not it either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm not sure it is a Solaris specific issue.

I've seen the same back in my Digital VAX/VMS days. Of course fixing it was just a matter of typing SET CONSOLE MESSAGES OFF.*

*My memory may be even more hazy on this one

VAX/VMS, now there's a blast from the past :) And I thought Solaris 5.9 was old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

Did you try dmesg ?
    You'll probably need to man up about it for the exact syntax you need.
    I used SunOS versions fairly regularly but by the time Solaris 9 (5.9) came out things were more linux like.

dmesg should allow you set the loglevel reported to your current terminal. dmesg -n 1 should quieten things down a lot.

I actually still maintain a 5.8 machine occasionally as it has some very old and very expensive licensed software on it.
    Just checked man on that and it doesn't seem to have the option I'm thinking of - might be older, might be newer. Give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Are you connecting to the console, or a virtual terminal?

As Tom Dunne said, if it is over serial, then try: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2332372/how-to-stop-syslog-messages-to-write-console-on-solaris

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

wasn`t there something in the eeprom that you could set for the console, or was it a keybaord sequence on the sun keyboard. ie L1 A wasn`t it to send a break, sorry been so long since i`ve used sol9
    Or just stop syslog for awhile, while you can fix what you need and the error messages stop scrolling on the screen.

Advertisement