Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Technologies Questions

Options
  • 16-11-2017 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello,
    I am interested in studying in the Computing Technologies course but I was wondering if there is any current student studying the course that I would be able to talk to and ask how the course is before I make any decisions? It would be greatly appreciated if this could be facilitated! I feel that it would be useful to clear up any doubts that I do have in advance and to get a student's perspective rather than the professor's perspectives!

Thank You!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Menace101

MadDog1999 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am interested in studying in the Computing Technologies course but I was wondering if there is any current student studying the course that I would be able to talk to and ask how the course is before I make any decisions? It would be greatly appreciated if this could be facilitated! I feel that it would be useful to clear up any doubts that I do have in advance and to get a student's perspective rather than the professor's perspectives!

Thank You!

I don't have experience with Computing Technologies but I'm a final year student in Computer Systems. I have done most of the courses that are taught in Computing Technologies, they're fun and challenging.

When you start, make sure you focus on the programming, mathematics, and software development courses. These will give you a good foundation for the next three years. You will be programming in either Java, PHP, or C#. The software development course is really important because it will teach you how to code an application from scratch.

At the end of the year you will have to decide whether you want to go into Computer Systems, Games Development, or Mobile Communications & Security. Computer Sys and Games Dev are very similar courses. You might like playing games but making them is not as fun, its hard work and you'll need to be passionate about it, especially if you want it as a career. I recommend you do Comp Sys because it's a general computer science degree and will open up many doors(its in demand at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Thanks very much for the reply it is much appreciated and has increased my confidence for the course. I am passionate about computers so I am sure that I will enjoy it.
    Menace101 wrote:
    I don't have experience with Computing Technologies but I'm a final year student in Computer Systems. I have done most of the courses that are taught in Computing Technologies, they're fun and challenging.

Great to hear😠I like some challenge!
    Menace101 wrote:
    When you start, make sure you focus on the programming, mathematics, and software development courses. These will give you a good foundation for the next three years. You will be programming in either Java, PHP, or C#. The software development course is really important because it will teach you how to code an application from scratch.

Thanks for the advice I have already tried programming Java myself and I find it rather interesting but still have to touch the waters of PHP or C# but I plan to
    Menace101 wrote:
    At the end of the year you will have to decide whether you want to go into Computer Systems, Games Development, or Mobile Communications & Security. Computer Sys and Games Dev are very similar courses. You might like playing games but making them is not as fun, its hard work and you'll need to be passionate about it, especially if you want it as a career. I recommend you do Comp Sys because it's a general computer science degree and will open up many doors(its in demand at the moment).

I have been looking at the computer systems degree also because as you saud it isn't as limiting careers wise as the others.

Thanks a million,
    Eddy

Advertisement