Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting fibre is my house ready?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

So getting fibre. The choices are 150mb 300mb or 1gb speeds.
    Was half tempted to go for the 1gb but dont think my devices are able for it.
    I have networked the house with cat6a all leading to where the router will be. The two tellys nvidia shields will have direct connection to the router via cat6a but not sure is they support that speed. Also i have a Netgear switch but think it omly supports 10mb/100mb switched.
    Basically am i wasting money going 1gb shoukd i just go 150mb. What sort of speed is the wifi run at does anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have to ask, get 150Mb. You'll only ever see a difference in speed tests otherwise.

You'll need a gigabit switch with any of the packages or you're be stuck at 90Mb. Wifi with good hardware AND good clients (new phones/tablets) can get up around the 400Mb mark at short range but these devices dont tend to download 500GB files so having the extra speed is useless over the 100Mb mark for your once a month Windows 10 updates.

Advertisement