Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Eir to Pure Telecom?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I'm out of contract with Eir, paying the standard €67. Pure Telecom have the deal, €34 for 6 months and then €50 pm after, they use the Eir infrastructure.

Reviews on their technicolor tg588v-v2 modem are very poor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B06XSTCHJY

They have said they should be able to configure Eir's efibre Huawei modem for us.

Does anyone have experience with switching from Eir to Pure Telecom?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

Pure Telecom support said the Eir router could be configured for them if I wanted to keep it. Has anyone done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

boardtc wrote: »
    Pure Telecom support said the Eir router could be configured for them if I wanted to keep it. Has anyone done that?

If its the F2000 unit, then yes. Eir's F2000 is OK, but if you have any problems in future, its more closed down (allegedly for reasons of security) than the Technicolor unit (e.g. ICMP packets inwards are filtered out so you cant ping the external interface from outside). Also, the tech support folks in Pure will know the Technicolor unit much better than the F2000 if you need to get an issue resolved.

That said, the F2000 does support both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless frequencies which can improve wireless throughput at the level of each device. If you have a good mix of different devices operating on WiFi, this can be a big benefit. However, I have experienced and seen reports of WiFi connections to individual devices 'freezing' regularly and needing to 'forget' the connection and remake it.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement