Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn to code!?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 6:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am in my mid thirties and to date my career has done quite well in the finance sector.

I am now at a turning point and would like to get involved in the tech industry.

I would like to learn to code.

What courses would people suggest?

PT only

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

UCD does a conversion masters (Assuming you have a finance Bachelors).

Seemed good to me when I was at UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

There loads of ways of doing this. A conversion masters would be a great qualification to have but to dip your toe in the water to try it out you can do free MOOCs (coursera.org have loads of free courses, other sites do too).

You could also pay to do an online training with a sites like Pluralsite.com or teamtreehouse.com. I use pluralsite all the time, I can't vouch for teamtreehouse as I've never used them. They both have free trail periods.

Also go and have a talk with your I.T. team as to what development they do, if any, and start developing the skill set they need. You might be able to change career without changing company.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Floyd

In a similar situation myself. Did a 1 year higher diploma software development in NCI recently. Not a bad course, kinda touched on everything, most emphasis was on Java. But I think to really make yourself hireable you need to be able to demonstrate that you really do know your stuff and have projects to prove it. If you scroll through development jobs some the biggest in demand seem to be Java and Javascript stacks for front end. I find Udemy really good and there are plenty of great teachers on youtube also eg Academind, Net Ninja, Traversy Media, Derek Banas to name a few. Its also a great help if you know someone working in the business, a lot to be said for that. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Advertisement