Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone running a VPN server behind SKY broadband?

Options
  • 15-11-2017 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to setup a VPN server to I can remotely access my LAN from anywhere.
    Reason is to connect to and view an IP camera network video recorder.

I know that I can't host a VPN server on the SKY provided router as it is locked down. ( of course it can handle port forwarding, but there are security issues with this)

Would love to hear from somebody who has successfully achieved this with SKY as their ISP.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As long as your ISP isnt messing about with DSLite etc (Sky dont) then they're not really relevant to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kifi

ED E wrote: »
    As long as your ISP isnt messing about with DSLite etc (Sky dont) then they're not really relevant to your question.

Tkd Ed. I've tried with another router and had a double NAT message and "private ip" message on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

kifi wrote: »
    I know that I can't host a VPN server on the SKY provided router as it is locked down. ( of course it can handle port forwarding, but there are security issues with this)

Even with OVPN installed on your network you still need port 1194 open on the router so this point is mute.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Even with OVPN installed on your network you still need port 1194 open on the router so this point is mute.

Run it on 443, can be far more useful if the remote network is limiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kifi

ok thanks all. So the options are to port forward alone or port forward plus VPN.

Why complicate things, I just port forward I guess. However, I have had video feed drop out after a few minutes and couldnt reconnect the last time I forwarded the ports. My upload speed was showing 20 MBPS, so not sure why this happened

• Advertisement

The VPN isnt a bad idea.

OVPN has been tested and tested and is known to be as secure as one can reasonably assert.

Your NVR either from HKVision or some random chinese OEM has probably not been tested and they get pwned every day. The chances of it getting compromised are significantly higher (Can you say Mirai botnet?). So the VPN is worth the work but it may require a small learning curve or bribing a nerdy friend.

Advertisement