Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionnaire for elderly relatives

Options
  • 14-11-2017 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Wondering if someone has a family history questionnaire specifically for older family members that they use. Or if someone could link me to a good one on the internet. I've had a look and I'm not entirely happy with what I came across. So asking for some tips.

The person I what to "interview" is 92 and is interested in her family history but I would not like to ask too personal of questions regarding relationships if you know what I mean.
    I'm looking at an interview about what her life was like down through the years and how things changed etc.
    Perhaps it's just better if I write the questions myself!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I would use photos and let the conversation flow. If you have specific questions, ask them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have a few specifics in mind that you want addressed but as pinky says, definitely try to have a conversation rather than an interview. And if you can, have a follow up conversation (or two) with the interviewee.
    That first conversation, the old photos, or mention of people and places from long ago, will trigger memories that weren't there the first time you asked, and the follow up interviews will may reveal much more detail.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I've had several conversations with relatives much more elderly than me and in the beginning I struggled to remember everything they said. So I began taking notes as they talked and then I typed the notes up as soon as I got home. Problem was, when I referred to what they had said before, they gave me completely different information, so now I don't know what exactly I should believe. Anyway, I suggest recording the conversation with a phone, or better still, made a home movie of them. Wish video cameras and mobile phones had been invented before my mother died.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I used this one from MyHeritage to ask my mother some questions. I've only got some of the way through it (must get back to it), and some of the questions I left out, but there are other ones I wouldn't have thought of that sparked some interesting stories of her youth and a few laughs together. Better to ask and get no answer than possibly miss out on a good yarn, even if it's more for the chat than being of genealogical use.

117 questions! Bet they fall asleep before you get through 'em all! The list will be tailored to suit the individual naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    117 questions! Bet they fall asleep before you get through 'em all!

Indeed, that's why I'm only part-way through it! I was only asking about 15 questions at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MAGZERFLOOD

My cousins wouldn’t let me record my aunt so always make sure close family are comfortable with you recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take them on board

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Problem was, when I referred to what they had said before, they gave me completely different information, so now I don't know what exactly I should believe.

Oral history is only a guide for further research. Never believe any story as though it is gospel. It has to be verified by solid research in archives etc.

tabbey wrote: »
    Oral history is only a guide for further research. Never believe any story as though it is gospel. It has to be verified by solid research in archives etc.

Very true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement