Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-worker getting more hours than me?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I work in a seasonal job and am currently on reduced hours (1 or 2 days a week) with a co-worker. Until recently, all available hours were shared between us equally but in the past 2 weeks, my co-worker has been given extra hours and this appears to be going on indefinitely.
    I was not told by my manager that the extra hours were available or that they had been given to my colleague, it was my colleague that told me they had been given the extra work.
    We are both similarly qualified to do the work and at the start of the winter period we were verbally told, together, that any extra hours would be shared.
    I'm quite upset about this, aside from the loss of earnings. I work my socks off for the company and feel now that my efforts are somehow deficient.
    I am going to ask my manager why this is happening but was wondering if there is there any obligation on my employer to divide hours equally between co-worker or do I just have to suck it up? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

fleabag wrote: »
    I work in a seasonal job and am currently on reduced hours (1 or 2 days a week) with a co-worker. Until recently, all available hours were shared between us equally but in the past 2 weeks, my co-worker has been given extra hours and this appears to be going on indefinitely.
    I was not told by my manager that the extra hours were available or that they had been given to my colleague, it was my colleague that told me they had been given the extra work.
    We are both similarly qualified to do the work and at the start of the winter period we were verbally told, together, that any extra hours would be shared.
    I'm quite upset about this, aside from the loss of earnings. I work my socks off for the company and feel now that my efforts are somehow deficient.
    I am going to ask my manager why this is happening but was wondering if there is there any obligation on my employer to divide hours equally between co-worker or do I just have to suck it up? Thanks.

Its seasonal work op. You can ask but they don't have to answer.
    I wouldn't ask personally. But what I would ask is if their is any extra works hours I could do.

Put it this way op, I worked seasonal once before and me and another co worker worked our arses off over the period in the hopes of been kept on after. He got the job and I didn't and I **** you not he got it because he lived closer. I mean I lost out on a job because I lived 15 minutes walk from it and he was 2 minutes from it.
    Again op it's seasonal they can do what they like so be careful how you question them regarding hours. Seasonal staff turnover is very high so many either quit because of the pressure or get let go for been lazy or rude and theirs nothing you can do about it.

Advertisement