Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting WDS to work?

Options
  • 14-11-2017 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm trying to bridge my Technicolor TG589vn v3 to my tp-link TL-WR1043ND, Both feature WDS. The tp-link will be my access point. Its been a few years sense I've messed around with this type of stuff but ill go through step by step of what I'm doing and if anyone can spot something I'm leaving out or getting wrong I'd be grateful to know :)

1. My Technicolor is set to 192.168.1.254 and the TP-link is set to 192,168.0.1

2. I log into my TP-link as admin, go to wireless settings, enable WDS and click survey which shows me a list of other wireless networks. I click on the network I want to bridge to and it automatically adds the SSID and BSSID for me, I put key type to WPA2-PSK and enter the correct password (Technicolor is definitely using WPA2-PSK).

3. I turn off DCHP on the TP-link

So from here im not 100% if there is anything else I need to do. Im not getting a connection. I have the TP-link connected to my PC with an Ethernet cable.

Edit 1: The Technicolor is reconfigured by Magnet Networks if anyone thinks that may cause issues with bridging?

Edit 2: Just to say why I am doing this. Normally I use powerlan adapters but the set I have at the moment I think are on it fritz as I'm getting a low as 1mbp/s on speed tests compared to the 64mbp/s im getting it on my phone through WiFi. And sometimes the connection just drops and the only way to reset it is to plug one of the adapters in and out which reset it instantly but is starting to get annoying to day. Funds aren't great this time of year so I'm waiting for black friday to see if I can get a good deal on a new set of powerlan adapters. My PC isn't capable of receiving WiFi, I know there is cheap usb WiFi adapters but thats another story of something I'm having issues with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

killanena wrote: »
    1. My Technicolor is set to 192.168.1.254 and the TP-link is set to 192,168.0.1

They mean to be on same network to talk to each other.

Check this: www.tp-link.com/us/faq-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

They mean to be on same network to talk to each other.

Check this: www.tp-link.com/us/faq-.html

Thanks, The link isn't working but I figured that out last night while searching other tech forums for an hour or so. Problem I'm having now is after changing they TP-link from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1 I cannot access the loggig for the router on the browser, ipconfig to conformed it was changed and it was.

Using windows 7 I go to network and sharing, click on the blue link to local area connections, opens a window which I click properties, click on Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPV4) and click properties, check use the following IP address, enter in my desired new IP address and subnet mask as 255.255.255.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Link again: http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-227.html

Once you changed IP on TP-Link, have you disabled DHCP on it?
    It might have effect as you have two DHCP's on same network.
    And check what IP range are handed out to clients by Technicolor, you not giving TP-Link one of ocupied IP's by any chance?

Advertisement