Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Days for an MRI...and counting

Options
  • 13-11-2017 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Wondering if someone in the know can lend any sort of insight into my sisters current situation.

Went into A&E in vincents last Wednesday night on recommendations from her doctor for an investigation into numbness in her arm. Being checked from everything from MS to a trapped nerve.

She has had whatever tests required done and is not under observation but is now waiting 6 days to get an MRI. She has had no tests done since last Thursday. Was told it would be today and hasn't. She has been let home at the weekend during the day but has to sleep in the hospital so she does not loose her place. She was in the public end, now in private.

Can it really take this long to get an MRI?? Would it not make more sense to be called back in as a day patient or is it someone somewhere in the hospital racking up the bills to VHI?

It all just seems to make no sense...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,312 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could she not go to another private hospital for the mri?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

There is separate inpatient and outpatient slots so her team is keeping her in so she stays on the outpatient list where she waits a couple days for an MRI as opposed to outpatient list where she'll be waiting months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Welcome to the Irish health system,where we have a system that requires doctors to keep someone in to ensure they get the test they need (MRI costing 200-400 euros in a private provider) we spend 900-1000 euros per night on an inpatient bed.

****ing lunacy, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Welcome to the Irish health system,where we have a system that requires doctors to keep someone in to ensure they get the test they need (MRI costing 200-400 euros in a private provider) we spend 900-1000 euros per night on an inpatient bed.

****ing lunacy, Ted.

Lunacy but there is also a logic in filling hospital beds with people who aren’t actually sick. The figure of 900-1000 euro a night is an average. If all patients needed a great deal of care either the figure would be higher or the system would be even closer to collapse than it already is.
    My observation is that about a third to a half of in-patients require little or no medical and nursing care. Many don’t even eat the food! This allows the staff to focus on the patients who are sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Hi,

Wondering if someone in the know can lend any sort of insight into my sisters current situation.

Went into A&E in vincents last Wednesday night on recommendations from her doctor for an investigation into numbness in her arm. Being checked from everything from MS to a trapped nerve.

She has had whatever tests required done and is not under observation but is now waiting 6 days to get an MRI. She has had no tests done since last Thursday. Was told it would be today and hasn't. She has been let home at the weekend during the day but has to sleep in the hospital so she does not loose her place. She was in the public end, now in private.

Can it really take this long to get an MRI?? Would it not make more sense to be called back in as a day patient or is it someone somewhere in the hospital racking up the bills to VHI?

It all just seems to make no sense...

If the health insurer finds out they will not pay and your sister will be liable for the costs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

OMD wrote: »
    If the health insurer finds out they will not pay and your sister will be liable for the costs.

No she will not.
    Don't be ridiculous and scaremongering.

RobFowl wrote: »
    No she will not.
    Don't be ridiculous and scaremongering.

Yes she might be.
    It happens very regularly. Sometimes the hospital absorb the cost so the patient isn't out of pocket, sometimes they don't.Legally if the insurer refuses to pay, as they are fully entitled to do in this case, the patient is liable.

for example
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057125656

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Yes she might be.

No she won't. She is an emergency admission to a public hospital. Any money St Vincents gets from the VHI is a bonus for them.

No she won't. She is an emergency admission to a public hospital. Any money St Vincents gets from the VHI is a bonus for them.

You are talking about something you do not have a clue about.

Obviously you are completely wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Jonny303, 6 days wait for an MRI is actually very, very short- public or private.

• Advertisement

You are talking about something you do not have a clue about.

Obviously you are completely wrong.

Sighs

Sighs

The arrogance and ignorance of your posts are astounding.

First if she was in St Vincent's then it was Vincent's private not public hospital
    She was in the public end, now in private

Secondly, even if she was in a public hospital, they can and do pursue the money up to and including taking the patient to court. A quick google search of this type of court case gives you this
    http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=20643
    "Dublin District Court has refused a claim from Dublin's Beaumont Hospital for the recovery from a patient of a €4,000 bill for private accommodation".

Think how many cases do not make it as far as court.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

As a previous poster said, there are two categories of MRI waiting lists, inpatients and outpatients. Inpatients are usually sicker than out patients so they have a shorter waiting list. However emergency patients and critical patients often crop up and have to be slotted in straight away. Vincent's also does MRI scans for a lot of smaller hospitals in the area and only has the one MRI machine. If your sister was critical she would have been scanned by now in the public hospital I would say, so six days would not be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Last week when i wanted an MRI done I went to my GP on the Monday for the referral and then looked through VHI documents to see which MRI provider was covered. Booked myself into Affidea for the Thursday. There might even have been free slots sooner in other Affidea clinics. Got the results on the following Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Jonny303, 6 days wait for an MRI is actually very, very short- public or private.

Not as an in-patient. It's ridiculously long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Not as an in-patient. It's ridiculously long.

It depends how critically urgent it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I had one done privately recently. The VHI paid but they sent me a thing saying the MRI had cost €125 euro. Which I thought was very cheap. And when I rang the place to book they had a slot open the same evening. Which didn't suit, so instead I hadn't done on a SUNDAY evening. It was all very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pointelle

I know someone who was admitted so a test could be done they did it next day it was a potentially big thing , maybe an arm somehow considered a lesser complaint. Perhaps she shouldn"t have used her health insurance it certainly sounds strange, get in touch with the provider they may be able to sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

fixxxer wrote: »
    It depends how critically urgent it is.

And the hospital I guess, but I'd cause a big fuss if that was the case for any of my patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

pointelle wrote:
    I know someone who was admitted so a test could be done they did it next day it was a potentially big thing , maybe an arm somehow considered a lesser complaint. Perhaps she shouldn"t have used her health insurance it certainly sounds strange, get in touch with the provider they may be able to sort it out?

Was that an MRI or a scan though.
    Different procedures have different waiting lists.

• Advertisement
Advertisement