Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 Update issues

• 13-11-2017 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I am having trouble with updating with the latest Windows 10 version and usually will reboot and restore to last windows 10 version. Got a message to say it failed to update and will restart to reboot which always does and since today issue I have is that the PC keeps beeping saying its repairing windows to last version and its continuously doing this and testing my patience. PC operating fine up to yesterday and shut down like normal.

It hasn't rebooted like it usually does seems to be taking longer. I have trying going into the BIOS to reboot it from there but can't seem to get into safe mode or won't do anything for me except when its in start up mode have 'Del' setup option and F12.

Del is responding but F12 isn't. Am I missing another button to press with it? Using another device to post on here. I have looked online to see but its more or less saying to go into boot mode and not able to get it to that stage.

Any advice on repairing it to original state or should I just let it repair itself without intervening?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

F8 brings you into the different boot options, including safe mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Were you're talking about an issue with the fall creators update on Windows 10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Thought I'd update on what's happened. Oh right. I tried F8 don't think it worked. I was trying to update with the latest windows 10. It was trying to repair in a loop and beeping. I left it on for a long time and It didn't repair itself. I connected it to laptop to see if PC was damaged in some way. Told me device operating fine. I took it into the shop where PC came from and got it repaired by their IT department. The hard drive was slowly failing so got that replaced and they added windows 10 for me. PC operating fine. PC as good as new.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Sorry to be piggy backing on the thread but I don't seem to be able to install the win 10 update. It's also called "1709 " or "fall creator's update ".I don't have enough space on my hard drive, so I got a usb flash drive that holds about 14.5 GB of storage. I still am unable to install it for some reason after trying for a few times. I have the 64 bit operating system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Windows updates need to install to the system drive (likely your C: drive). Try clearing some space off your C: drive and try again.

• Advertisement

You live and learn mostly the hard way when I am concerned.

I was onto the Microsoft site and the technical department. Yes, apparently the free space needs to be on the "C " drive. I got a usb flash drive thinking that I could install using this, but thats a no no. He told me a way to clear a whole load of space from the C drive, but still not enough. I have wasted a load of my data allowance on this so I will have to wait until next week to get more data to check.

Would it be OK for them to gain access to my computer to clear more and install the update for me I wonder which they said they could?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can move files to another drive temporarily

use ccleaner to free up space

turn off hibernate / shrink or move swap file

use treesize / spacemonger to see what's taking up space - oft times it's something you didn't expect

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget to set your connection as a metered one to stop windows hogging data

pay a visit to a friend/family to do the update on their internet ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭irishgeo

jimmyw wrote: »
    Sorry to be piggy backing on the thread but I don't seem to be able to install the win 10 update. It's also called "1709 " or "fall creator's update ".I don't have enough space on my hard drive, so I got a usb flash drive that holds about 14.5 GB of storage. I still am unable to install it for some reason after trying for a few times. I have the 64 bit operating system.

whats the error code?

The code is not there now, i'll get back to trying to sort it soon. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement