Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea wireless charging

Options
  • 13-11-2017 6:53pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Is anyone using the Ikea wireless charging pads or desks?

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/wireless-charging/

I see they've backed a popular standard.

They get 5watt from them.

Some have 15watt ready to hit the shops.

Again it's not going to charge a laptop or charge quickly.

Any thoughts on them?

The desk lamp is a handy charge point

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They use the Qi standard which is what the new iPhones and most wireless android phones use. So should work well with most phones that support it.

If you buy now, it will only support 5watts, you would have to buy new hardware to support 15w once the spec is agreed down the line.

Plenty of good Qi gear on amazon too, so I wouldn't look just at Ikea. Also I think charging stands are better then pads for phones, make a better contact, which can be an issue for wireless charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/wireless-charging/wireless-charging-pads/nordm%C3%A4rke-single-pad-for-wireless-charging-white-art-60308308/

I bought that close enough to when it first came out and have no complaints. Just be aware that it's not a slim unit and the power supply is big enough.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Even at 15 watts it's a good deal away from charging a laptop.

Advertisement