Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a pension to lower investment tax bill?

Options
  • 13-11-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭

I had to sell off my Rabodirect managed funds this year so will be hit with a nasty tax bill next year.

If I setup a pension before the end of the year and pay a lump sum into it does that help reduce the overall tax bill for these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

No. Tax on profits on sale of Managed Funds is effectively ring fenced to my knowledge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

homer911 wrote: »
    No. Tax on profits on sale of Managed Funds is effectively ring fenced to my knowledge

Actually would there be a benefit regarding my PAYE tax that I've already paid this year if I paid a lump sum into a pension? Would I get something back?

Perhaps some sort of tax rebate might ease the pain of next years bill.

I had planned on setting up the pension in Jan/Feb as I have more urgent matters to attend to but might prioritise it this year if it helps the 2017 tax bill I pay next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

mrcheez wrote: »
    Actually would there be a benefit regarding my PAYE tax that I've already paid this year if I paid a lump sum into a pension? Would I get something back?

Perhaps some sort of tax rebate might ease the pain of next years bill.

I had planned on setting up the pension in Jan/Feb as I have more urgent matters to attend to but might prioritise it this year if it helps the 2017 tax bill I pay next year.

Any money invested in a pension in 2017 would entitle you to a refund of the tax on that money.

The age-related earnings percentage limits are:
    under 30: 15%
    30-39: 20%
    40-49: 25%
    50-54: 30%
    55-59: 35%
    60 or over: 40%.

Probably only makes sense if you are paying top rate of tax

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Any money invested in a pension in 2017 would entitle you to a refund of the tax on that money.

The age-related earnings percentage limits are:
    under 30: 15%
    30-39: 20%
    40-49: 25%
    50-54: 30%
    55-59: 35%
    60 or over: 40%.

Probably only makes sense if you are paying top rate of tax

Aye paying top rate alright... I'll investigate this pension malarky for 2017 then.

Just to get a head start any recommendations on schemes to check out that follow the markets? Perhaps i should take this to a pensions forum.

Advertisement