Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats best for gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

First one is cheaper and boosts to 1835 vs 1733 in the second

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Chiptakt: 1695MHz
    Boost: 1835MHz
    Rechenleistung: 9395GFLOPS
    €587,96

vs

Chiptakt: 1607MHz
    Boost: 1733MHz
    Rechenleistung: 8873GFLOPS
    €578,41

First one is far and away the better buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Both the same, base clock is just adjusted by the manufacturer, up to you if you want to give them an extra 10€ for overclocking it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

STEE wrote: »

Bad prices for GTX 1080 on both.

Palit/Gainward's cooler is better for noise & thermals, although it is 2.5 slots wide. The cards are available for €500-520.
    MSI, Zotac & Gigabyte also have competitive cards for less than Asus.

I was replying within the context given but I would go for a 1070Ti over a 1080 if I was in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭STEE

The price went down a bit, it's €552.59 now. Is Rakuten.de a ok website to buy from :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

They're essentially the Japanese Amazon. I use it for eBooks (was able to find things there that weren't on Amazon) and have had no problems, but YMMV :) They're a big and pretty reputable brand though and are trying to break into the European market through things like sponsoring Barca FC and so on :) They also own the Viber messaging and VOIP service.

lmimmfn wrote: »
    but is a 1070 Ti better than a 1080 advanced ? performance wise :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

but is a 1070 Ti better than a 1080 advanced ? performance wise :confused:

Its not faster no,but its cheaper. So performance per dollar may be better.

Although they havent overclocked the 1080 in the review posted earlier which makes things a bit murkier if you intend to overclock.

• Advertisement

I don't mind paying a bit extra, TBH Im looking for performance ultra settings because I was using a mid range card for a few years until it died unexpectedly on me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ultra is so overrated, seriously the difference between medium and ultra on any game of any genre i have is marginal.

I don't mind paying a bit extra, TBH Im looking for performance ultra settings because I was using a mid range card for a few years until it died unexpectedly on me.
    You can see from the charts on guru3d the difference is negligible in GPU hungry games like Mankind Divided, I.e. 1FPS so the 1080 isn't worth the premium

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

If you buy the 1080 and its say 5% faster than the 1070 ti but costs 18% more you start to see a drop off in return for your money.

The other poster is just pointing this out. Thats why the 1070 ti is attractive. Slightly worse performance from the 1080 but represents better value. With 95% of the performance of a 1080 but at only 82% of the cost.

The question is weather the 5% is worth the premium for yourself.

Please dont take this rough maths as actual figures,just trying to give the OP an idea of why the 1070 ti is a valid option.

My specs are a bit old now (i7 3820 3.60 ghz 8gb RAM) I don't know if the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Advanced would work because the 11gg oc card I bought didn't didn't work properly for me. Would I be better off just going with a card that is more suited to my current specs before I upgrade my system like a Nvidia 970 or a 980 I don't know what the problem is with the 11 gb oc card I bought maybe my mobo I should have well enough watts of power from my PSU

Whats the best Nvidia card I can get for a reasonable price that can handle ultra settings I'm trying to get one before my Christmas shopping. I have €450 saved, the strix 1080 advanced went down to € 499 for black Friday this-morning but, the link didn't work for the website now its gone back up to € 549.99

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Ultra at 1080p or 4k? What games? What's an acceptable framerate to you?

I personally bought a 1060 and a lot of games will run in ultra at 1080p at 70+ fps. Overwatch runs at around 120ish although I've since wished I went with a 1070 for that extra bit of oomph. Still don't think a 1080 is worth the outlay, as mentioned above diminishing returns and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

My specs are a bit old now (i7 3820 3.60 ghz 8gb RAM) I don't know if the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Advanced would work because the 11gg oc card I bought didn't didn't work properly for me. Would I be better off just going with a card that is more suited to my current specs before I upgrade my system like a Nvidia 970 or a 980 I don't know what the problem is with the 11 gb oc card I bought maybe my mobo I should have well enough watts of power from my PSU

The i7-3820 is still a massively powerful CPU so that's not your bottleneck.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/palit-geforce-gtx-1070ti-twin-x2-8192mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-044-pl.html
    1070 Ti, on-sale for £410 (€459).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Whats the best Nvidia card I can get for a reasonable price that can handle ultra settings
    Ultra at 1080p or 4k? What games? What's an acceptable framerate to you?

I personally bought a 1060 and a lot of games will run in ultra at 1080p at 70+ fps. Overwatch runs at around 120ish although I've since wished I went with a 1070 for that extra bit of oomph. Still don't think a 1080 is worth the outlay, as mentioned above diminishing returns and all that.

1070 is where it's at for 1080p gaming if you want smooth framerates at Ultra settings.

1080 is total overkill for 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If you're on 1080p 60fps even a 1060 6GB or 580 8GB would do that for you I'd reckon at about half the price of a 1080. I also agree with Dcully on ultra settings being overrated compared to high or very high depending on the game and I play on about a 120" projector where it would otherwise show a lot more than a TV or monitor (at least at 1080p, never used 1440 or 4K for gaming).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Billy86 wrote: »
    If you're on 1080p 60fps even a 1060 6GB or 580 8GB would do that for you I'd reckon at about half the price of a 1080. I also agree with Dcully on ultra settings being overrated compared to high or very high depending on the game and I play on about a 120" projector where it would otherwise show a lot more than a TV or monitor (at least at 1080p, never used 1440 or 4K for gaming).

I've had to tone down a few settings on some games. Is there really so little difference?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

At 1080 at least, I've not noticed anything really discernible to be honest. I'm kind of surprised you've needed to tone down some settings though, weren't you on a 1600 and 1070 (or 580 8GB)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,499 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

At 1080 at least, I've not noticed anything really discernible to be honest. I'm kind of surprised you've needed to tone down some settings though, weren't you on a 1600 and 1070 (or 580 8GB)?

RX580. It was for Crysis which apparently is still a pain to run. Far Cry 3 is a bit of a diva as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ah ok, Fry Cry is a bit surprising though might be a port issue? I know on Witcher for example I only had to take off anti-aliasing and set hairworx just to Geralt and could make the rest out. Never played an FC game before but I've been considering getting the new one when it's out so I might keep an eye on that myself!

Ah ok, Fry Cry is a bit surprising though might be a port issue? I know on Witcher for example I only had to take off anti-aliasing and set hairworx just to Geralt and could make the rest out. Never played an FC game before but I've been considering getting the new one when it's out so I might keep an eye on that myself!

Apparently, FC3 has issues. I`d still recommend it though. The world is gorgeous. Good to hear that The Witcher is a proper PC game at least.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement