Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I do B. Commerce if I'm poor at maths?

Options
  • 12-11-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Although I want to do Arts I realise Arts is supposed to be a waste of time. My parents want me to do B. Commerce. I'm a good student- do everything at HL (I'm in top 3 in terms of results in most of my subjects, including Business). But I really struggle with maths. I do Ordinary Level & get O3s or O4s usually, I'm just awful at it. Is putting this on my CAO a bad idea, seeing as it seems to have a lot of maths/economics in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why do you think Arts is a waste of time?
    What subjects would you do in Arts if you picked it?
    There is quite a bit of maths/economics in first 2 years but plenty of options to choose where you dont need to go near the areas you dont like.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ilovesmecounty

I have no experience whatsoever with commerce. However, I can tell you an Arts degree is not a waste of time. It teaches you critical thinking, social sciences, literature and you get a deep qualitative understanding of the world. There's a huge variety of subjects to choose from in an Arts degree and it doesn't close any doors on you. Quite the opposite. I did an Arts degree and my classmates went on to become teachers, barristers, journalists, nurses and accountants. I had friends who did commerce, and guess what? Some of them went on to become teachers, barristers, journalists, nurses and accountants too! The world is your oyster and no learning is ever a waste of time. Do what inspires you and try to find a way to make money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Chailatte99

I want to do an Arts degree, but a lot of people have told me it's pointless, I'll never get a job out of it etc. My parents want me to do a business course, but I have little interest in it. It's nice to hear it's not a waste, because it is what I want to do. Probably choose French/German & Law. Thank you for your helpful replies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I want to do an Arts degree, but a lot of people have told me it's pointless, I'll never get a job out of it etc. My parents want me to do a business course, but I have little interest in it. It's nice to hear it's not a waste, because it is what I want to do. Probably choose French/German & Law. Thank you for your helpful replies!

Doing law through arts has the same outcome as doing pure law, in the end you have a degree in law. The difference is the option of doing a minor or dual major and s augmenting the law studies with a language or social science by doing it through arts.
    Your parent and people telling you arts degrees are a waste are taking total bollocks to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I wouldn't put any more stock in a Commerce degree than an Arts degree, for sure. The maths component is pretty trivial, aside from some of the statistics in second year (iirc), which some people find tricky.

• Advertisement
Advertisement