Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media player issue

Options
  • 12-11-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I have a maplin media player, i use a verbatim 1t hard drive with no issues.

Verbatium is full so i bought a 1t my passport harddrive.

Media player wont play new my passport harddrive. Shows "no media files"

Is this a setting issue. Anyone have an idea whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I have a maplin media player, i use a verbatim 1t hard drive with no issues.

Verbatium is full so i bought a 1t my passport harddrive.

Media player wont play new my passport harddrive. Shows "no media files"

Is this a setting issue. Anyone have an idea whats wrong?

Can you see the media files in any other media player? Vlc for example
    https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

heroics wrote: »
    Can you see the media files in any other media player? Vlc for example
    https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It plays fine on my laptop.
    These are the video specs of the player.

MPEG1/2/4(MPG, VOB, AVI), DivX (avi), XviD (avi), resolution up to 720 x 480 30fps / 720 x 576 25fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

And both drive drives formatted the same?
    Is the file structure the same on both drives?

mordeith wrote: »
    And both drive drives formatted the same?
    Is the file structure the same on both drives?

MEDIA PLAYER-SD, MMC, SD and SDHC Memory card devices with file systems: FAT and FAT32 only

HARD DRIVE-File system NTFS

Would I be right in saying they are two different systems. Anyway fix this or is my only option to buy a compatible one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

MEDIA PLAYER-SD, MMC, SD and SDHC Memory card devices with file systems: FAT and FAT32 only

HARD DRIVE-File system NTFS

Would I be right in saying they are two different systems. Anyway fix this or is my only option to buy a compatible one.

You're going to have to copy (backup) all the media files from the hard drive. Plug it in to a PC and right click Format, and select FAT32 in the drop down. Then copy all the files back.

Here's a quick overview of FAT32 and NTFS. https://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »
    You're going to have to copy (backup) all the media files from the hard drive. Plug it in to a PC and right click Format, and select FAT32 in the drop down. Then copy all the files back.

Here's a quick overview of FAT32 and NTFS. https://www.howtogeek.com/177529/htg-explains-why-are-removable-drives-still-using-fat32-instead-of-ntfs/

There is four folders on the hard drive making up the 1Tb, can I format each folder individually

There is four folders on the hard drive making up the 1Tb, can I format each folder individually

You have to format the drive. This will wipe all the data. Hence why you need to backup first (unless they are stored somewhere else already, on your laptop or whatever)

You have to format the drive. This will wipe all the data. Hence why you need to backup first (unless they are stored somewhere else already, on your laptop or whatever)

Penny dropped, copy everything, reformat drive

Penny dropped, copy everything, reformat drive

Exactly.

Only option for formatting is exFAT, reformatted it and transferred one movie. No joy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Only option for formatting is exFAT, will that make a difference?

You might need to use command prompt.

Get the drive letter of the external drive when you plug it in (D, E, F, etc.). Do NOT use C as this is your default drive the operating system is installed on.

Press the Windows Key + R (together at the same time). This will open a run box at the bottom of the screen.

Type "cmd" (without quotes) and press enter. Command Prompt will open.

Type the following in where the cursor blinks;

format /FS:FAT32 X:

^ it has to be EXACTLY like this (including upper and lowercase and spaces).

X will be the letter of your external drive (as mentioned before).

Press enter and type Y to confirm. This will format the drive as FAT32.

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/formatting-external-drives-to-fat32-in-w10/fe8d25c2-7dff-4708-aac8-668ba55eeec6?auth=1

me_irl wrote: »
    You might need to use command prompt.

Get the drive letter of the external drive when you plug it in (D, E, F, etc.). Do NOT use C as this is your default drive the operating system is installed on.

Press the Windows Key + R (together at the same time). This will open a run box at the bottom of the screen.

Type "cmd" (without quotes) and press enter. Command Prompt will open.

Type the following in where the cursor blinks;

format /FS:FAT32 X:

^ it has to be EXACTLY like this (including upper and lowercase and spaces).

X will be the letter of your external drive (as mentioned before).

Press enter and type Y to confirm. This will format the drive as FAT32.

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/formatting-external-drives-to-fat32-in-w10/fe8d25c2-7dff-4708-aac8-668ba55eeec6?auth=1

Thanks for help
    Ill give it a go

Managed to get FAT32 onto file system, now it wont copy the movies back. Saying file to large for file system

What are the factors that determine whether or not a media will read a external hard drive.

Should have checked this at the start but the old drive that worked had NTFS file system so this is not the problem.

IS there any thing else to compare between both hard drives that might be stopping media player reading the new one.

What are the factors that determine whether or not a media will read a external hard drive.

Should have checked this at the start but the old drive that worked had NTFS file system so this is not the problem.

IS there any thing else to compare between both hard drives that might be stopping media player reading the new one.

Fat32 had an upper limit of 4GB per file. You could always reformat as NTFS and try again if that is the file system of the original drive.

Think its something else, tried all that, reformatted back to NFST, dropped a movie in still wont play. NO media files.

Think its something else, tried all that, reformatted back to NFST, dropped a movie in still wont play. NO media files.

Have you tried a few jpegs just to see if the player can see those

Have you tried a few jpegs just to see if the player can see those

Ill give it a try.

when I run the HD that works it shows something called "partition" before I can view media files. Does this mean anything.

Ill give it a try.

when I run the HD that works it shows something called "partition" before I can view media files. Does this mean anything.

Try this
    https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=207

No joy, according to that link everything is ok. Tried the Jpeg as well and big fat no go.

getting on my nerves now

• Advertisement

No joy, according to that link everything is ok. Tried the Jpeg as well and big fat no go.

getting on my nerves now

Does the media player recognize the drive at all or is it just not seeing the files on it?

Does the media player recognize the drive at all or is it just not seeing the files on it?

Not recognizing anything.

Advertisement