Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wi fi kettle

Options
  • 12-11-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to buy a Wii to kettle for himself for Christmas. We currently don't have any systems in the house, but would like to think we will get the ghome next year.

Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Seriously? Personally I think that's one of the least appealing uses of smart technology I can imagine.

Sure chances are he's going to have to go to the kettle to fill it before boiling it anyway....

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

We have a nice solution going with our current "not smart" kettle (a kettle is never smart anyways).
    I bought a TP-Link hs100 plug (€30 in Harvey Norman, dropped to £15 on Amazon prime day - possibly same thing for black Friday) which my kettle plugs into. We just had to get into the habit of filling the kettle, flicking the kettle switch to on, and leaving the TPlink socket off. I did it for the lolz, but really we use it pretty much every day. "Hey Google, turn on the kettle" is very handy actually.

I'm not sure how much more functionality you could get out of a smart kettle. eg. "Hey Google, boil water to X degrees" or something might be handy, but I wouldn't assume that functionality exists with GH or Alexa.

With a "smart" kettle, you're still going to have to get into the routine of filling it up after every use anyways, so for me it comes down to cost, and style: €150+ on a limited range of kettles vs €30 + any kettle you like (assuming the kettle stays in the "on" position without power).

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I'm hoping to buy a Wii to kettle for himself for Christmas. We currently don't have any systems in the house, but would like to think we will get the ghome next year.

Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, i'd start here. A wireless kettle might be a neat trick, but for similar money, a Google Home is much cooler for Christmas. Especially if he has any music streaming services (spotify or Google Home).

Q: "What did you get off herself for Christmas?"
    A: "A smart kettle"
    vs
    A: "A Google Home"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

A kettle isn't a device I'd want hacked...Boom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

A smart kettle is a great use of smart tech as far as I'm concerned - there's a couple out there but I wasn't able to find anyplace that had them in stock.

I'm on coffee duty in the morning so it'd be great for being able to start the boil from upstairs, as well as seeing how much water is in there to get an efficient boil and getting an exact temp to hit; I want to hit 92/96 degrees for coffee. The kettle I got can only manage 90 or 100.

I'd imagine it'd be great for warming water for milk for a baby or a hot water bottle too.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You're thinking toasters :p

Most i've come across allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Thanks for the response,

I always fill the kettle when I make tea, is that not what everyone does?

He doesn't listen to music, so not sure what he'd do with a music streaming service!

He drinks gallons of tea, and I just thought it would be a chuckle.

I spoke to him today about getting ghome in the new year, since we just got WiFi! In rural Ireland! A pretty decent one that makes life worth living for, we could use it.

I will check out the recommendations above, thanks again,

And,

SERIOUSLY!

We're old enough to get a kick out of it!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can totally see a wifi kettle (or one with Smart plug) being a time saver, if you can get into the habit of refilling the kettle straight after using it.

The problem with the kettle is that you have to go to the kitchen twice, once to fill it/switch it on and back again to actually making the tea. I can see how it would be nice just to go "Hey Google, boil the kettle" and come down stairs to a boiled kettle, ready to go :)

Of course first world problems, but a lot of this Home Automation stuff is like that, making your life just a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭paulbok

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »

Fixed the link for ya.

Edit: Thats a bluetooth kettle. Not sure what the range might be on bluetooth 4.0, considering walls in houses etc

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

I bought the appkettle and I absolutely love it. Just want to give a bit of feedback in case anyone is thinking of getting.
    Pros
    You can set specific fav temperatures .i.e coffee, baby bottles etc. and name them
    You can program a schedule ahead I.e every weekday morning at 7.30
    You can set an alert to remind you to refill night before, app tells you exactly how much water you have and won’t heat if you don’t have enough.
    The app works like a dream, very visual and easy to use
    You can set it to keep warm after boil for specific time
    It’s neat and tidy and looks good. It feels sturdy and well built.
    Works with Alexa
    Cons
    It’s really expensive. I contacted looking for a price match with argos but they weren’t budging. (Argos had no stock just an online price)
    You can forget to fill or even overfill (both failsafe, kettle won’t work!) but I actually have got into a habit of keeping it filled so don’t find this a problem.

I got this one because reviews were good compared to others like the Sage or iKettle...I love the convenience and coming home to a fast brew!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/appkettle-ak000001-1-7L-Stainless-Electrical-Kettle/dp/B01M35A5SW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522176183&sr=8-1&keywords=appkettle

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Have the Appkettle myself as well, the whole family laughed initially when I bought it but since then they’ve all fallen in love with it. Nothing beats having the kettle boiling downstairs while getting dressed in the morning or having it ready to pour once I come in the door from work

Still a bit pricey for my liking - ~150euro. Our current setup is a kettle + smart plug, so about 80-90 euro all in. Other than the safety features and specifying a temperature it's the same.

If it was more around the €100 mark i'd consider it, but only if my current kettle was to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Advertisement