Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking the news in work

Options
  • 12-11-2017 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Possibly ones for the jobs section but thought AH may put a good slant on it I am sure others have experience this scenario. Basically a job has come up in a different department at work would be a decent promotion pay rise and all that and that area manager (over vacant job) has already said it to me about applying for it.

The thing is there has been a lot of change in the department I am in and a lot of hardship over the last year but finally things are settling down I started 9 months ago in the department my manager thinks very highly of me we get on well and that’s my issue he has done a lot for me. In a recent performance review I said to him I was happy in the job and we were talking plans for me next year and projects I should focus in on and basically it was all positive.

I am finding it difficult to think of how best to break the news to him as I am not going to apply until I have said it to him. I don’t think he will take it well as if I did get the other job it leaves them back in the tough position of getting someone else and training them up. I like my job and I’d only be transfering for the better pay and conditions really as the other department isn’t necessarily a better place to work I get on really well with the current people in my department and there is a good few young people which I am 1.5 years out of college. It’s hard to know what way to go about it as he has done a lot for me and now it feels like I am throwing it back in his face and trying to jump ship at the first chance I get. Do I just say straight out the main reason I am applying is for the pay rise.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Just whip out you’re lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,133 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Play it down as much as possible. Say that you're applying just to practice and get a feel for the interview process. That you don't expect to get the roll. That way if it doesn't work out you haven't made the current your current position worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Will you change the car if you get it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ask for a pay rise in your current job. Give your current manager first refusal.

People come and go from jobs all the time. No one gets that upset when someone moves on. We all think we are all more valuable than we are so unless you are an irreplaceable wunderkind I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ask for a pay rise in your current job. Give your current manager first refusal.

People come and go from jobs all the time. No one gets that upset when someone moves on. We all think we are all more valuable than we are so unless you are an irreplaceable wunderkind I wouldn't worry about it.

I am not sure the pay rise thing works as well when really you are only going to be moving departments not leaving the company. I have a feeling his hands may be tied on giving me a pay rise but I suppose I will soon find out.

Agree I am far from unreplacable but I suppose it’s just inconvience of having to get a replacement and train them up. I also think he probably feels I was going to be there for the long run and wouldn’t be looking to move so soon so don’t think he will be expecting the news.

• Advertisement

Will you change the car if you get it?

Based on the way I change them up to now not getting a promotion has never stopped me :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,348 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

CIP4 wrote: »
    I am not sure the pay rise thing works as well when really you are only going to be moving departments not leaving the company. I have a feeling his hands may be tied on giving me a pay rise but I suppose I will soon find out.

Agree I am far from unreplacable but I suppose it’s just inconvience of having to get a replacement and train them up. I also think he probably feels I was going to be there for the long run and wouldn’t be looking to move so soon so don’t think he will be expecting the news.

Talk to him face to face. Ask him what he would do if he were you. See what promo prospects are available where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

To give an update for those who helped here you were right sat down and had the talk with my manager. He took it well said he was expecting it and said I’d be mad to not go for it. But at the same time wasn’t delighted at the thoughts of me going if I did get it. He also hinted he may be able to do something to get me to stay but said for the moment apply for it.So I applied and we will wait and see there is a lot going for it but sure if your not in and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Too late now, I know, but in general, I would have thought it a good idea to apply for the other job, be offered the role, and have the contract in your hand, ready to sign, before telling your current employer that you're thinking of leaving..

• Advertisement

Ficheall wrote: »
    Too late now, I know, but in general, I would have thought it a good idea to apply for the other job, be offered the role, and have the contract in your hand, ready to sign, before telling your current employer that you're thinking of leaving..

It’s the same company internal job on the application it actually said you have to inform your manager before applying. If it was with another company I wouldn’t of said it at all until I’d gotten in.

Advertisement