Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Creating a website for a college group project

• 11-11-2017 8:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

I’ve been asked to make a website for a hypothetical product that my class group has developed in college. It doesn’t have to be a full in depth website, but what would be best way of going about this?

I’m not sure if it’s possible to create a hypothetical website, and having said that, whether it’d be best to create a real website, or a pretend website. Regarding a real website, I don’t think it’s even possible to create a wordpress version without involving your credit card somehow.

Could anyone tell me what might be the best (or most realistic) approach, and to perhaps direct me to a source that can guide me through the steps involved. I’d have to do it in 3 days.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

WordPress can run locally once you install Wamp server on your machine. So I wouldn't be handing over money for that anyway!

If I remember correctly, web design is somewhat like building a house. You need a brief, then you need to sketch out some plans of what you want it too look like, then you snag the design with your team. Then finally you build, and once done do another snag/bug list and finally the design goes to market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Is That an Order?

TallGlass wrote: »
    WordPress can run locally once you install Wamp server on your machine. So I wouldn't be handing over money for that anyway!

If I remember correctly, web design is somewhat like building a house. You need a brief, then you need to sketch out some plans of what you want it too look like, then you snag the design with your team. Then finally you build, and once done do another snag/bug list and finally the design goes to market.
    So should I install Wamp on my machine?

What do you mean by 'snag'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So should I install Wamp on my machine?

What do you mean by 'snag'?

Snag, as in to look for problems, things that are hidden. As an example of building the house. Your house is built, your door is missing a handle, you add it to the snag list! As in you'll fix the door handle to make it function as a door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I’ve been asked to make a website for a hypothetical product that my class group has developed in college. It doesn’t have to be a full in depth website, but what would be best way of going about this?

I’m not sure if it’s possible to create a hypothetical website, and having said that, whether it’d be best to create a real website, or a pretend website. Regarding a real website, I don’t think it’s even possible to create a wordpress version without involving your credit card somehow.

Could anyone tell me what might be the best (or most realistic) approach, and to perhaps direct me to a source that can guide me through the steps involved. I’d have to do it in 3 days.

Thanks

www.wix.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

First step is gather the content for the site. Write the text, get any images etc. Do up a sitemap (i.e. a list of what pages you will have - if not a long single page site).

That way when you get to the tech bit you'll know what kind of template you need for your content.

Pretty sure if you can create a free wordpress site which will sit on their domain, though might display ads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement