Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine sent by vineyard?

Options
  • 10-11-2017 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

On a recent trip to Douro valley in northern Portugal we purchased two boxes of wine & port - 6 bottles in each box. We paid 40 euro for shipping to Ireland (courier). Has anyone any idea how much duty will need to be paid when the wine arrives in ireland?

Link here suggest 3.19 per bottle of wine + 23% VAT

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Muppet man

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You (generally) won't be given the option to pay duty if its stopped; it'll be destroyed. You don't have an import licence

There have been a few cases of people being allowed pay duty + a fine but they are rare, very rare.

if you read the article you linked in full you'll see it says that you can't personally import; the 3.19 is just the duty element on a retail bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

You might get lucky, my box of beer was even opened when it arrived today however DPD still delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I've had at least 20 boxes of wine (6 to 12 bottles) delivered to me over the last 5 years from various countries in Europe. I've yet to have a shipment stopped or confiscated. So, hopefully you get the same luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I had alcohol stopped by customs, it was coming via PMotel.
    I contacted customs, asked how much, and they said that they would forego any charge this one time.

But I would have to travel to the pm depot in finglas to collect it.

It went uncollected.

Advertisement