Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite European Ski Country

• 10-11-2017 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's favourite country for skiing is in Europe. I've not included the non-European ones as options but feel free to mention them. I reckon anyone who has skied in Japan will be so chuffed at the fact that they were skiing in Japan it would make it hard not to consider it the best. Although it probably was in fairness.

But what are your favourite countries and why? Or is picking a country a bit meaningless and the resort the more relevant question?

I've only been to Austria and am going back, but we chose it because it was known for being (relatively) cheap, having great snow facilities, having the best Apres ski and the transfer times were good.

Where do you guys like to go and why?

Which is your favourite European ski country 41 votes

France
    0% 0 votes
    Switzerland
    26% 11 votes
    Austria
    4% 2 votes
    Italy
    39% 16 votes
    Andorra
    19% 8 votes
    Spain
    7% 3 votes
    Bulgaria
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

France for the large areas, for the one week a year I can go.

also ease of resort in Flaine, family friendly, basically a big snow sure bowl.

Austria for wild apres, I am now to old for. Can't ski next day.

Switzerland for covered & heated chairlifts.

Italy for quality but cheap food.

not been to Spain or Bulgaria, Poland or Scandinavia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I didn't realise Italy was as popular as the poll suggests. Thought Switzerland might get a couple of votes, although it's supposed to be ferociously expensive.

And I love the idea of skiing in Spain. I have it in my head that the slopes will be less busy and the food will be really good. I half feel like it's a bit of a secret resort although I know there's zero chance that that's actually true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

I love Italy as a ski destination, cheaper than France with great food and and lovely relaxed atmosphere in most resorts.
    The lift systems are not as good as France or Austria usually but the locals don’t tend t ski after lunch which means nice quiet slopes in the afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

blue note wrote: »
    Thought Switzerland might get a couple of votes, although it's supposed to be ferociously expensive.

Switzerland is MENTAL money, I reckon the only way to do it would be Club Med all in or something. It is a handy short destination though, if you're looking for a long weekend.

maddness wrote: »
    I love Italy as a ski destination, cheaper than France with great food and and lovely relaxed atmosphere in most resorts.
    The lift systems are not as good as France or Austria usually but the locals don’t tend t ski after lunch which means nice quiet slopes in the afternoon.

Are the transfers not generally mental though? They'd put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Carra 8

Really like Sweden , great view and food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

maddness wrote: »

My views exactly
    Are the transfers not generally mental though? They'd put me off.

This is probably based on most Irish people's experience of Italy - i.e., Livigno, but in general they are a bit longer. I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 hours as against 1 1/2 - 2 1/ 2 hours for Austria. French transfers, with the exception of a handful of resorts around Geneva, are actually generally about the same.

A stereotyped summary of skiing countries:-

Austria - largely soulless, great apres, great wellness as standard, somewhat lower, less to no ski in, food quite cheap, accommodation probably cheapest of all

France - soulless, see you next Tuesday attitude, never really feel welcome, how dare you bring your children out in public, you expect me to work?, decent bistro food as standard but its a bit samey and the food on the piste tends to be expensive, charmless and bland, largest ski areas, more ski in

Italy - charming, sound people who are probably more like the Irish than any other skiing nation, great cheap food on mountain, one euro for delicious coffee as standard, great selection of wines we aren't usually exposed to, they don't bother skiing much so less competition, lift and skiing infrastructure in general quite poor

Switzerland - 8 euro for an instant coffee, 40 euro for a burger or a few text messages, just a bit offensive and parasitic in general, great mountains

US / Canada - never been, heard great things but imagine its expensive, have a nice day must get to you in the end, the mountains in general aren't as steep or dramatic as alps

Japan, Alaska - mythic, lord of the rings type stuff I've never attained

Kamcatcha, etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

a148pro wrote: »
    My views exactly

This is probably based on most Irish people's experience of Italy - i.e., Livigno, but in general they are a bit longer. I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 hours as against 1 1/2 - 2 1/ 2 hours for Austria. French transfers, with the exception of a handful of resorts around Geneva, are actually generally about the same.

Austria - largely soulless, great apres, great wellness as standard, somewhat lower, less to no ski in, food quite cheap, accommodation probably cheapest of all

France - soulless, see you next Tuesday attitude, never really feel welcome, how dare you bring your children out in public, you expect me to work?, decent bistro food as standard but its a bit samey and the food on the piste tends to be expensive, charmless and bland, largest ski areas, more ski in

Italy - charming, sound people who are probably more like the Irish than any other skiing nation, great cheap food on mountain, one euro for delicious coffee as standard, great selection of wines we aren't usually exposed to, they don't bother skiing much so less competition, lift and skiing infrastructure in general quite poor

Switzerland - 8 euro for an instant coffee, 40 euro for a burger or a few text messages, just a bit offensive and parasitic in general, great mountains

US / Canada - never been, heard great things but imagine its expensive, have a nice day must get to you in the end, the mountains in general aren't as steep or dramatic as alps

Kamcatcha, etc etc

Great post, we think alike mr 148

Shush! We want to keep those slopes quiet

You're really not selling France or Switzerland! Italy sounds amazing though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Have skied in France, Austria, Andorra and USA and there is nowhere I wouldn't go back to, each has had its ups and down (pardon the pun). Village to village and resort to resort in the same country I've found to be very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have skied in Andorra, Austria, and Italy and found them all lovely for different reasons but it was Austria that I learnt to Ski in and had the most fun in as well as the best slopes and that one is my favorite.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You're really not selling France or Switzerland! Italy sounds amazing though!

Ah in fairness the above is totally stereotyped. If you like piste skiing you will not do better than the 3 valleys in france. And I'd say for rustic mountain grandeur its hard to beat Switzerland. But I'm getting old and starting to want a bit more from my trips than just mainlining crack cocaine skiing, charm and the sense of being exploited or not wanted becomes tiresome.

Some of the italian faffing around has to be seen to be believed, charm has its downside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

a148pro wrote: »
    My views exactly

Kamcatcha, etc etc

You sound like the typical Irish family on the flight that makes me not want to not be Irish.

No offence intended.

If you make an effort to learn a few words of the language wherever you go you will be welcomed and discover that they are not 'soulless' places. Austria is probably the most welcoming place in Europe if you get yourself over the language barrier and not expect them to converse in English.

Conversely, if a German only speaker came to Ireland and didn't 'gel' with the locals, can he describe our country as soulless??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I always enjoy my French trips more than any others. Some French people can appear aloof but the majority are very nice, and if you attempt a few words of French they'll give you a smile. My only criticism of France as a snowboarding destination is the cost, it's quite expensive compared to others, but it's worth it. Absolutely love Morzine, although at this stage I've probably outgrown it.

I was in St. Anton last year, and went to Lech ( both in Austria) for a day trip, great rugged terrain and challenging off piste, far tougher than 3v, where I normally go. Zell am See and Kaprun are ok but quite small.

Haven't really boarded in Italy, apart from Cervinia and that resort that's close to Chamonix ( can't remember the name) . I wasn't mad about Cervinia, too windy, the other resort was ok, but very few blacks, and the slopes that were black were more like reds. I love the way Italian resorts clear out after lunch though. I'd love to visit the Dolomites.

Germany is great, though, again, I've spent limited time in German resorts, but the facilities were great and the terrain was tough enough.

Haven't been to Switzerland, apart from dipping in when I was in Cervinia. Seems expensive. We are going to Engelberg this year and I've heard good things about it.

Steve wrote: »
    You sound like the typical Irish family on the flight that makes me not want to not be Irish.

No offence intended.

If you make an effort to learn a few words of the language wherever you go you will be welcomed and discover that they are not 'soulless' places. Austria is probably the most welcoming place in Europe if you get yourself over the language barrier and not expect them to converse in English.

Conversely, if a German only speaker came to Ireland and didn't 'gel' with the locals, can he describe our country as soulless??

I speak german and french but thanks for the advice nonetheless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Don't see much about Spain so I'll share my experience!
    I visited Sierra Nevada last year which overall was brilliant. Mostly locals so you would want a bit of Spanish (luckily my OH is fluent). Skiing is quite good (I ski on piste on reds/blacks), however there's not too many blacks. Very picturesque!! Plenty of cheap restaurants around the mountain also.
    Stayed in Granada (it was a 40 min drive every morning) so we could do the other touristy stuff and plenty of nightlife obviously enough in a city of that size. You could also catch a La Liga 1/Copa Del Ray match if that rocks your boat.

My only other comparison however is New Hampshire (USA). Been skiing over there 3 times and loved it, however it is very expensive and the mountains are relatively small.

Don't see much about Spain so I'll share my experience! I visited Sierra Nevada last year which overall was brilliant. Mostly locals so you would want a bit of Spanish (luckily my OH is fluent). Skiing is quite good (I ski on piste on reds/blacks), however there's not too many blacks. Very picturesque!! Plenty of cheap restaurants around the mountain also. Stayed in Granada (it was a 40 min drive every morning) so we could do the other touristy stuff and plenty of nightlife obviously enough in a city of that size. You could also catch a La Liga 1/Copa Del Ray match if that rocks your boat.

What was the weather in Granada like when you were there? I was there last year and did a climb, but chatting to the guide she was saying that in march / april you could go for a ski during the day and then spin out to the coast for a swim in warm waters. A snow and sun holiday combined. A very appealing prospect I must say!

What was the weather in Granada like when you were there? I was there last year and did a climb, but chatting to the guide she was saying that in march / april you could go for a ski during the day and then spin out to the coast for a swim in warm waters. A snow and sun holiday combined. A very appealing prospect I must say!

my first ski trip was there and it was t shirts all the way! You could definitely spin down to the Coast, probably a little over an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I went over for the New Year for a week and while I don't recall the exact temperatures, you could easily ski after lunch without a jacket. Sunny most days and overall quite good, but I've heard the mountain is prone to closing from strong winds (money refunded for lift pass if so). Brought a big North Face and I don't think I ever regretted something as much.. Would thoroughly recommend Sierra Nevada to people who ski on-piste, but I think it would take a bit longer than an hour getting to the coast! Closer to two I would imagine taking into account the amount of people that do be driving up and the down the mountain (especially during peak season).

• Advertisement
Advertisement