Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Xbox live

Options
  • 09-11-2017 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

I just unboxed my new xbox 1 S last night and went through the set up process.

Somewhere along the way it asked me to enter a code for xbox live gold, a 14 day trial came with it so I threw that in.

When I had everything updated and ready to go I tried to join a party and it wont let me, gives me an error saying I must have an active gold sub. Confused I go to the store to see if I have an active sub, which I do that isn't due to expire until the 22nd of this month, it even lets me start a download for one of the free games with gold for this month!

Anyway I think nothing of it and try to go play COD:WWII online and get the same message, ready to throw the branch new controller across the room (after a 1.5gb update and then a 50gb download for COD) so I play the campaign for a bit then head to bed.

When I check my active subs through the settings it tells me my last sub ended in 2014, which would be correct but has no mention of the trial I currently have according to the code I put in and the store.

Has anyone come across this yet?

I have also contacted Microsoft but nothing yet. I even nearly turned my PlayStation back on to keep me sane.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

SeanHarty wrote: »
    I just unboxed my new xbox 1 S last night and went through the set up process.

Somewhere along the way it asked me to enter a code for xbox live gold, a 14 day trial came with it so I threw that in.

When I had everything updated and ready to go I tried to join a party and it wont let me, gives me an error saying I must have an active gold sub. Confused I go to the store to see if I have an active sub, which I do that isn't due to expire until the 22nd of this month, it even lets me start a download for one of the free games with gold for this month!

Anyway I think nothing of it and try to go play COD:WWII online and get the same message, ready to throw the branch new controller across the room (after a 1.5gb update and then a 50gb download for COD) so I play the campaign for a bit then head to bed.

When I check my active subs through the settings it tells me my last sub ended in 2014, which would be correct but has no mention of the trial I currently have according to the code I put in and the store.

Has anyone come across this yet?

I have also contacted Microsoft but nothing yet. I even nearly turned my PlayStation back on to keep me sane.

Haven't heard of something like this SeanHarty recently, it usually works. Give me a few days and I'll get a code for you, just busy for the next while. Let us know if it starts working/you get it fixed from support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

No need to get a code from somewhere id happily buy one, just dying to play online and afraid if I do buy one it won't work as it already says I have an active sub until the 22nd.

I appreciate the help though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

I'm fairly certain that those 14 day trials only work if it's your first time having an Xbox Live subscription. I know from experience that the 24 and 48 hour codes work with no issues regardless of how long you have had your subscription, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere before that the 14 day one only works with a "virgin" gamertag. I may be wrong though, hopefully I am because it wouldn't be the smartest move for Microsoft to give you a conditional gift with your console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

MissMayo wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that those 14 day trials only work if it's your first time having an Xbox Live subscription. I know from experience that the 24 and 48 hour codes work with no issues regardless of how long you have had your subscription, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere before that the 14 day one only works with a "virgin" gamertag. I may be wrong though, hopefully I am because it wouldn't be the smartest move for Microsoft to give you a conditional gift with your console.

Nah I've used free codes before after having a paid sub. I normally save them up through the year and then stick them on when my sub runs out. Gives me an extra month if I have two of them

I think that my very first time on XBL it didn't work properly for a day or so, so maybe just hold off for now. Or just buy a month sub from CD keys.*

*for some reason they're pretty expensive at the moment. Probably better to just buy the 12+3 month one.

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/1-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360

Jayop wrote: »
    Nah I've used free codes before after having a paid sub. I normally save them up through the year and then stick them on when my sub runs out. Gives me an extra month if I have two of them

I think that my very first time on XBL it didn't work properly for a day or so, so maybe just hold off for now. Or just buy a month sub from CD keys.*

*for some reason they're pretty expensive at the moment. Probably better to just buy the 12+3 month one.

https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/memberships/1-month-xbox-live-gold-membership-xbox-one-360

Do all of the free codes work though? I've read on a few sites that anything marked as a trial (e.g. 14 day trial) won't work but the other codes (e.g. 48 hours of free Xbox Live Gold) will work. I can't remember what wording was on any of the ones I ever used.

I do remember a friend giving me their 14 day trial when they first got their Xbox One when they came out and I couldn't redeem it and Microsoft Support said something about it being a trial and I wouldn't be able to use a trial since I had already had a Gold subscription and trials only worked on Gamertags that hadn't had Gold before.

Also, according to Xbox.com you can't download the Games with Gold using a trial, you need a proper subscription.

https://support.xbox.com/en-IE/my-account/xbox-live-membership/games-with-gold-faq

• Advertisement

It's very strange though because it lets me download the free games and when I was talking to the support agent today he said he could see my account had an active gold sub and never said anything about the trial version not working

Yeah I've used them loads of times. Sometimes you might have to enter the number over and over so if you don't have a Kinnect you're better off doing it on the website.

Although some people are having the same problem...

https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/E6873FFA-7BAE-4441-90EA-55D8AEEDBF6A

You know, some of the trials I've used have been from buying the XBox and not actual games, although I've had some from games too with no problems. The OP's trial though wasn't with a game it was with the Xbox so the party chat and other features shouldn't be blocked!!

It's very strange though because it lets me download the free games and when I was talking to the support agent today he said he could see my account had an active gold sub and never said anything about the trial version not working

That is strange because according to their site you can't download Games with Gold using a trial.

If Jayop is correct then I still have the code for that 14 day trial that I couldn't redeem that you could try to use of you want?

That is strange because according to their site you can't download Games with Gold using a trial.

If Jayop is correct then I still have the code for that 14 day trial that I couldn't redeem that you could try to use of you want?

I think there's different levels of trials, like if you buy a game that's a crappy trial, but if you buy an xbox, it's a proper trial.

• Advertisement

I mean I don't mind trying if your not gonna need it but my one looks like a full trial, says I can play multiplayer games and all on it

Jayop wrote: »
    I think there's different levels of trials, like if you buy a game that's a crappy trial, but if you buy an xbox, it's a proper trial.

Like I said up above, there are trials (e.g. 14 day trials) and short Gold codes (e.g. 48 hours of free Xbox Live Gold). The code I was given came with a console but was still only a 14 day trial (what you are referring to as a "crappy trial"), this was the reason customer service said that I wasn't able to redeem it. However I still have the code as it was emailed to me so I'm more than happy to give it to the OP in the hopes that you are correct and he can redeem it.

FYI previously I tried to add a 14 day code while I already had XBL sub hoping it would just add to the end of it, and it wouldn't accept the trial until my existing membership had expired. So if you do try MissMayo's trial it may not accept it.

I mean I don't mind trying if your not gonna need it but my one looks like a full trial, says I can play multiplayer games and all on it

You can play multiplayer on trials, but according to the fourth post in the URL that Jayop posted, "Usually apps and party chat and xbox Live parties are forbidden with trials", is strange that you couldn't play the new CoD. Have you tried the multiplayer in any other game?

I'll send you a message with the code, hopefully it will work for you. At least if it doesn't then it will be another thing to mention to Xbox Support of you contact them again.

Edit: sent, hopefully it works!

Just wondering, do you have auto renewal set up for you subscription from when you had it a few years ago? I have heard weird stories about hiccups with that.

You can play multiplayer on trials, but according to the fourth post in the URL that Jayop posted, "Usually apps and party chat and xbox Live parties are forbidden with trials", is strange that you couldn't play the new CoD. Have you tried the multiplayer in any other game?

I'll send you a message with the code, hopefully it will work for you. At least if it doesn't then it will be another thing to mention to Xbox Support of you contact them again.

Edit: sent, hopefully it works!

Just wondering, do you have auto renewal set up for you subscription from when you had it a few years ago? I have heard weird stories about hiccups with that.

To be honest I'm not sure if auto renewal is set or not but I don't think so, when I got my ps4 I gave my brother my 360 so I'd say I turned it off but I'll have a good look tomorrow.

Really appreciate the code I'll let you know if it works

I'm actually fit to kill xbox support at this stage.

After not being able to provide me with a fix they have sent me a code for a month of Xbox Live in the hope that will work.

For some reason I had to provide proof of purchase of my console along with a front and back picture of the code used, even though they told me they could see through my account transactions what code I used and when I used it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah I had to do the same. I had a 12 month sub and a 3 month sub disappear earlier this year.

In fairness they gave me a new 12 month sub and a 3 month sub as well as 40 euro free credit on XBL to compensate for the disruption to service.

yeah it must be there go to when something isn't working.

hopefully that'll be it sorted now

Advertisement