Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Plumber - need advice

Options
  • 09-11-2017 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi folks
    I hope someone can offer some advice please.
    I've had problems with the plumbing in my apartment since it was purchased 10 years ago. Earlier this year I hired a plumber to investigate a leak in main bathroom and replace floor tiles, replace wall tiles in my ensuite, re fit the shower quadrant with new doors etc. Work was carried out. Mastick and silicone wasn't finished as he said he wanted to wait and make sure no more leaks would occur.
    Couple of weeks later we started getting damp stains on the wooden shower quadrant and bath covering. Both toilets were coming loose from the floor and walls. He returned and fixed it up, and said the multiwick in one toilet was acting up and this can happen and replaced it as his own cost.

Couple of months later, I have a leak from the toilet in ensuite (Silicone and mastick still not done btw) and toilet loose in ensuite again. He's been back 7 times now and says the problem is condensation. I've followed his advice and cleaned the extractor fans and it hasn't helped. I phoned him a few weeks ago and said I wasn't happy and the job isn't even finished and the bathrooms are a state. He told me I had a bad attitude and he didn't like it... odd reaction I thought. He is proposing new work now, a new exposed toilet removing the hidden cistern. He still hasn't checked the shower for leaks.

I rang a new plumber who called out and said
    1. the washer is visible on the toilet and it's fitted incorrectly
    2. the toilet in the ensuite is too far away from the wall and he suspects the multiwick is the blame
    3. One of the shower tiles has a crack in it and this might also be causing the leak
    he's calling tonight to do the work and I'm paying him.

I also discovered today that there's damp in behind the cistern in my main bathroom and I need the new plumber to look at this also.

I spent so much money at the beginning of the year for this and I feel helpless to approach the old plumber about it. He#s horrible to deal with but I simply can't afford all of this work.

I have read plumbers aren't regulated so I'm at a loss and as Ive had a lot of health issues over the last 2 years, all my money is being spent there.

Can anyone offer any advice on any options I have here?
    Thanks so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭almostbroke

Sorry to hear about your bad experience....where did you get this plumber from? Not sure what you can do about being compensated in any way for the dodgy work, unless Citizens Advice can help you.....but in future if you're getting any work done I would suggest contacting Age Action for a list of reputable tradesmen that they have who will be reliable and Garda vetted...I'm sorry I cant be of more help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

El Ray wrote:
    I have read plumbers aren't regulated so I'm at a loss and as Ive had a lot of health issues over the last 2 years, all my money is being spent there.

He's either a tiler, plumber or neither one. He's definitely not a plumber and tiler.

I wouldn't worry about the silicone not being done as it's a 10 minute job.

I don't think we can give legal advice on this thread but there is a legal thread & another thread to consumer affairs.

Advertisement