Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid work as a contractor

Options
  • 09-11-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Recently started working as a contractor abroad, getting paid a daily rate.

Team is about 15 strong, but only myself and another staff member are responsible for (and capable of) certain tasks. She will be absent in December for medical reasons meaning I'll be the only one who can do them.

The company has a policy that contractors are not to work between 14th December and 2nd January. Our manager stated jokingly that we can come on but won't be paid. In private meetings, he's hinted that I'll be required to do a few hours each day while the other staff member is out, but obviously this clashes with the required absence.

Am i entitled to refuse working these days if I'm not going to be paid considering I'm not full time staff?

Has anyone experienced similar or how should I approach this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yes of course you're entitled to say no. If you're willing to work then let them know, but make it clear that you will be billing them for the hours worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'd say you are in a very strong position to negotiate a premium rate for doing the extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

^^That.

You are a contractor, you can negotiate a rate for cover during the Christmas period. It is quite legitimate to say 'yes I can come in, let's discuss how I get paid for that cover'.

If they say they won't pay, then, well, you come back in January...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

You're a contractor. You make your own rules.

If you're happy with the pay and don't mind doing a few hours , that's your decision. Might be better to be on call a little in exchange for getting so much time off.

I would drag the manager aside to discuss his assumption that you'll work for free. If he can't put something fair in place (like you'll attend a weekly meeting, or accept urgent calls, in turn you'll get a few hours flexibility in the new year), you're well within your rights to switch your phone off the entire period.

Advertisement