Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Docking Stations, internal graphics card and display resolutions

Options
  • 09-11-2017 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I currently have a laptop which has limited external graphics. I bought a new ultrawide monitor, resolution 2560x1080.

My laptop internal graphics card does not support this resolution.

Would the right docking station solve this, or am I limited by my internal graphics card?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

kifi wrote: »
    Hi all

I currently have a laptop which has limited external graphics. I bought a new ultrawide monitor, resolution 2560x1080.

My laptop internal graphics card does not support this resolution.

Would the right docking station solve this, or am I limited by my internal graphics card?

Thanks

I'm running 3440 x 1440 of a 6 year old laptop. Is your graphics Intel? I had to set a custom resolution in the graphics settings, and drop the refresh rate until it was within the bandwidth limits of the HDMI connection. You may not need to drop the refresh rate too much

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A dock with its own GPU will certainly be a possibility if you've USB3 but expect it to be €120+.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kifi

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I'm running 3440 x 1440 of a 6 year old laptop. Is your graphics Intel? I had to set a custom resolution in the graphics settings, and drop the refresh rate until it was within the bandwidth limits of the HDMI connection. You may not need to drop the refresh rate too much

It doesn't appear to allow custom res. I have "Intel Graphics 4000" chip.
    ED E wrote: »
    A dock with its own GPU will certainly be a possibility if you've USB3 but expect it to be €120+.

like this one?

http://plugable.com/products/ud-3900

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP if you connect it via vga no graphics card will help.

srsly78 wrote: »
    OP if you connect it via vga no graphics card will help.

Using HDMI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"2560440 mode will operate at a 50Hz refresh rate"

Seems so, just make sure the panel can do 50 as well as 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The product looks like it'll allow output to a a VGA or DVI connection if the laptop doesn't have said connections.

Also, does your laptop have USB2 or USB3? If it only has USB2, I doubt this gadget will be of much use to you. How old is your laptop?

Maybe click here to install CPUZ, to give the mainboard model and manufacture, as well as the graphics card that is in your machine. This info will allow us to see what your computer should be able to support.

the_syco wrote: »
    The product looks like it'll allow output to a a VGA or DVI connection if the laptop doesn't have said connections.

Also, does your laptop have USB2 or USB3? If it only has USB2, I doubt this gadget will be of much use to you. How old is your laptop?

Maybe click here to install CPUZ, to give the mainboard model and manufacture, as well as the graphics card that is in your machine. This info will allow us to see what your computer should be able to support.

Great. Tks so much. Will do that and post back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

It doesn't appear to allow custom res. I have "Intel Graphics 4000" chip.

http://plugable.com/products/ud-3900
    Thats odd, my intel graphics are two generations older.

Edit: It should be under the Intel Graphics Control Panel some where

CPU Z details

MAINBOARD: HP / Model 1888 Chipset Ivy Bridge Rev 09 / Shouthbridge HM76 Rev 04

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

• Advertisement

Update - I have accessed the Intel Graphics from the control panel.

When I try to increase the res, I get an error msg to the effect of "exceeded max bandwidth capacity"

Intel HD Graphics 4000 supports resolution up to 1920×1200 through HDMI and 2560×1600 through DisplayPort
    What ports do you have on your laptop? You may have tried to use HDMI? What model of HP laptop is it (can't find model 1888)? A few laptops will have the mini-display port.

c02574679.jpg
    Number 2 port (third hole from the left) is the mini-display port.

What ports do you have on your laptop? You may have tried to use HDMI? What model of HP laptop is it (can't find model 1888)? A few laptops will have the mini-display port.

c02574679.jpg
    Number 2 port (third hole from the left) is the mini-display port.

I have HDMI and USB only. No display port unfortunately.

What USB slots does it have? Maybe get a eGPU, but unless your laptop is relatively high spec, it may be cheaper just to upgrade it.

An eGPU is a case that you insert a desktop graphics card, that connects to your laptop via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3. Some are just the box, some already haev the graphics card in them.

For example, picked as it's "cheap"; http://amzn.eu/cNsMz2q at £440, and it comes with a GTX 1070 Graphic Card inside it. Maybe not the best setup, as you don't get much bandwidth even with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, compared the gfx card being internal to the PC.

What USB slots does it have? Maybe get a eGPU, but unless your laptop is relatively high spec, it may be cheaper just to upgrade it.

An eGPU is a case that you insert a desktop graphics card, that connects to your laptop via USB-C/Thunderbolt 3. Some are just the box, some already haev the graphics card in them.

For example, picked as it's "cheap"; http://amzn.eu/cNsMz2q at £440, and it comes with a GTX 1070 Graphic Card inside it. Maybe not the best setup, as you don't get much bandwidth even with USB-C/Thunderbolt 3, compared the gfx card being internal to the PC.

Would buy a new laptop for that. Mistake in buying this.

Would buy a new laptop for that. Mistake in buying this.
    Pretty much.

=-=

OP, what's the make and model of the screen, and make and model of the laptop?

Advertisement