Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outlook hanging with popup

Options
  • 09-11-2017 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I am getting a popup that hangs outlook 10 - See attached screen.

I've ran a sweepAdwcleaner and Cyber Randsom Free - No change. I'm running Avira as my Antivirus and nothing suspicious lately.

I wonder it is an attachment that is looking for a server?

Any ideas?

mail-2-error.png

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, it looks like it's trying to download an image from S3. Weird.

See if there are any recent emails from boards in your inbox and delete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, it looks like it's trying to download an image from S3. Weird.

See if there are any recent emails from boards in your inbox and delete them.

Thanks for the reply. What is "S3" - Is it specific to boards?!

No it's a product offered by Amazon - Simple Storage Service.

You can tell by the url it's trying to download from - s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com. Outlook is trying to access a resource in the AWS S3 service in their Eu-West-1 (Ireland) AZ. :)

I mention boards because of the "b-static.net" in the same URL. The content it's trying to download is coming from boards's own S3 bucket(s). "b-static.net" is where boards stores its "static" content - stuff that doesn't change often like images.

So if you got an email from boards, it probably had an image in it, and that image lives in S3. But your computer is having trouble downloading it.

No it's a product offered by Amazon - Simple Storage Service.

You can tell by the url it's trying to download from - s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com. Outlook is trying to access a resource in the AWS S3 service in their Eu-West-1 (Ireland) AZ. :)

I mention boards because of the "b-static.net" in the same URL. The content it's trying to download is coming from boards's own S3 bucket(s). "b-static.net" is where boards stores its "static" content - stuff that doesn't change often like images.

So if you got an email from boards, it probably had an image in it, and that image lives in S3. But your computer is having trouble downloading it.

I've a lot of mails in Outlook across 2 accounts - is there any way to trace the offending mail?!

No, I don't think so. Chances are it's an unread mail (as anything read will have already been downloaded), and I'd be 99% sure it's from boards. So if you have anything unread from boards, including stuff that may get routed to other folders by rules, find them and delete them.

• Advertisement

That did it!! - So far so good anyway! - That’s gas that I posted here and it happening to be a boards mail!

All I get is notifications on replies to posts/threads - but there was a SERIOUS amount of them going back a few years - maybe it was the volume!

Thanks again - much appreciated - My head was wreaked with the constant hangs ion Outlook.

Cheers

Edit - It just happened again after a boards notification came through - ??!!!!

Deleated it and no hangs - so new boards mails are causing this!

I've subscribed to this thread, so respond to it and I'll see if I can recreate the problem :)

I've subscribed to this thread, so respond to it and I'll see if I can recreate the problem :)

This issue was in place long before this thread was created -a week old now at least. Its not specific to a thread...

Maybe boards tech can advise?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Hi

This is an issue that has arisen since our move to HTTPS. Since that move most of the requests made to boards are protocol agnostic - that is to say instead of specifiying http:// or https:// the call is made as // instead. However in windows // can also be interpreted as a network share. So I suspect that outlook is hanging attempting to connect to a non-existent network share as opposed to making a http request.

One of the lads is looking into it at the moment - hopefully we'll have a fix soon.
    Ronan

• Advertisement

^^ Just about to say this.

Older clients like outlook interpret "//s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/b-static.net/images/emaillogo.png" as an SMB file share, not an HTTP link.

Hi

This is an issue that has arisen since our move to HTTPS. Since that move most of the requests made to boards are protocol agnostic - that is to say instead of specifiying http:// or https:// the call is made as // instead. However in windows // can also be interpreted as a network share. So I suspect that outlook is hanging attempting to connect to a non-existent network share as opposed to making a http request.

One of the lads is looking into it at the moment - hopefully we'll have a fix soon.
    Ronan

Thanks Ronan, so I just keep deleted mails when they come in?

Can you post here when the fix is in place please...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Outlook being crap is the problem here, not the emails. Drop outlook.

I've just had another issue with this problem - you sure its sorted boards? Cleared my old boards mails so just new ones after the fix and issue still occurring...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

ED E wrote: »
    Outlook being crap is the problem here, not the emails. Drop outlook.

I'm not sure where you are getting the "outlook being crap" from. It is the number 1 client by far, and I've yet to use any better (thunderbird being "almost as good").

However, the problem is not outlook. Gmail itself can't interpret the request. Given that, out of mails from hundreds from other senders, it is only the ones from boards that are causing the problem and it is to do with the link, it is clear the problem is not with outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Don't panic!

You can fix minor errors manually. Last month, I also solved an annoying error in Outlook i.e. related to a search function. Just read the guide for complete awareness: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/5-outlook-problems-and-fixes/

Advertisement