Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help drawing a 3 axis graph in excel

Options
  • 08-11-2017 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Hi there
    Can anyone offer some help or advise with the following please.

I got tasked with having to produce the following graph (see photo) in excel. Its something that is done manually but we are trying to use excel to produce the answer to eliminate human errors. The primary y-axis values range from 15 to 0. The X axis values range from 25 to 3000.
    Where i am getting caught is with the secondary y-axis which runs at an angle. These values range from 5% to -20%. The idea is that the user of the excel programme gets to enter two values in 2 seperate cells. A. (between 0-15) and B. (between 25-3000) and the chart automatically returns the %value. In the photo shown (green lines) the user entered a value of 8 and a value of 216. The programme automatically outputs/returns a value of -2%.

Is it even something that can be done in excel ??

Any help, advise or potential solutions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    Ascii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Probably can but I'd use python (matplotlib).

Looking at that is giving me a headache. This isn't a 3d plot right? Rather it's 2x2d plots on one chart. Ok it is 3d... Definitely use python. Save your excel to csv, load values into 3 python arrays, make 3d plot.

If you just want to compute a value why even bother with the chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

srsly78 wrote: »
    Probably can but I'd use python (matplotlib).

If you just want to compute a value why even bother with the chart?

Dont need the chart at all. If I can obtain the answer through a formula etc then that's fine by me. Any help where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Can probably derive the formula by looking at the plot, or ask whoever gave it to you. Then should be easy to code that in excel or whatever you fancy.

Your original plot looks like isotherms on a 2d heatmap: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33282368/plotting-a-2d-heatmap-with-matplotlib You could use a plot function like that to test your formula - compare it to your original. Still need to derive formula first tho!

Advertisement