Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gorey commuting stories

Options
  • 08-11-2017 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi guys

Asking again about people's stories of commuting to/from Dublin.

I'm trying to look for it jobs and commute but to get back at some reasonable hour.

I know someone on here has been championing the rail system but not sure I want to be going city centre(too long .. maybe) and not sure if it passes any other it hub then that I am missing.

Sandy ford .. a car share is prob best and not sure where the bus can drop off.

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

What type of it job are you looking for? Bray is not to bad by car, and there's also innovate and another company I can't remember in Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I do a run to Bray (from Coolgreany). 50 mins there in the morning (changeable). 40 mins back in the evening.
    Newtown north exit to Bray south (at least) is cack from 07:30 to 09:00 and will only get worse once the houses go up at Newtown north.
    I come off and go through Greystones to Southern Cross as it's quicker until about 08:15 when the roundabout after Windgates into Bray gets dire.

So basically for Bray, hope you don't have to start between 08:30 and 09:00. I'm lucky, I start at about 07:30 or 09:30 so miss the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭SCRUB

I'm looking for a .net programming company so I have to drop the CV into innovate. I was really hoping more companies would have moved into the new hub.

That commute from bray doesn't sound too bad at all , hence I'm looking to sandyford.
    Though bray wouldn't be plentyful for what I am looking for , also you wouldn't take the train to bray no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Currently open vacancies in Innovate
    https://www.innovate.ie/careers/vacancies/

Also look at the offer in The Hatch Lab. Check with your employer if they would allow for you to work from their lab few days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭L8rdude

SCRUB wrote: »
    you wouldn't take the train to bray no ?

The car is less than hour door to door to bray (most days)

The train journey itself Gorey to Bray is 1hr 15/20 Mins - So in my case it was about 1Hr 45M each way door to door.

If the train was faster, I would definitely get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

An hour an twenty most mornings to Killiney in Dublin from Ballymoney

An hour an twenty most mornings to Killiney in Dublin from Ballymoney

What time do you leave and what time do you return ??

So I am in talks with someone in sandyford but again I am looking at the commute logistics .... I would say the best thing is Wexford bus and the luas.

But the bus has stopped dropping ppl in cherry wood, anyone care to talk to how bad that commute is ...

Otherwise I am looking at getting a car park space and driving the whole way myself with that added expense.

Thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭fitzparker

We live in Riverchapel since the summer.

So I work in Sandyford, other half works in Blackrock, my commute is to drop her to deansgrange (her mothers house) she drives off in her car to work and I go to Sandyford from there.

We leave Riverchapel at around 6:20am and get to Deansgrange at usually 7:40. so on average it takes the guts of 1 hour 20 mins. if i was going straight to sandyford it would be 7:30 id say.

sometimes it takes longer, only on a friday we would do it in 1 hour 10min.

today for example was madness and we didnt get to Deansgrange until 7:55 so an hour and 40 mins. we are now going to leave earlier and see how we get on, if we are out the door before 6:10 we should hopefully avoid the traffic, its grand up until exit 12 then it crawls until just before Bray and opens back up.

Going home we leave anywhere between 4:45 - 6pm regardless this is always the same, I go loughlinstown way and merge in at bray, stuck in about 10 minutes of moving traffic and then its usually straight forward, around hour and 10-15 minutes, never usually more.

this brings me to my own question, the morning time traffic is insane, and only going to get worse with NTMK booming with houses especially when the other half has to be in for 8:15-8:30 ( my job is flexible)

what back roads do people take to avoid it? i see alot of people turning off at exit 12/11 are they just skipping that 300m section or is there somewhere you can go further to get back onto the M11? i need to take the loughlinstown exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Newtown has become so bad in recent weeks that I find myself coming off at Newtown south and heading towards Kilcoole then through Greystones to get to the Southern Cross.
    That's leaving to be at Southern Cross for 0730. Takes me about 50 minutes.

There's Quill road that leads on to the back of Kilmac that might shorten some delays. Never took it myself. Donnelly's lane too, runs from the Glenview to Quill road and then on down to Kilmac. That one is marked as private though and looks tiny. I'm sure some people take it all the same.
    3vptcgT.png

• Advertisement

Thanks fitzparker, It doesnt sound too bad from what you mention and glad I am only looking to SandyFord.
    I would really like to get public transport and get rid of the cost of a car, so will continue to look for ppl who have experience(d) with this, and see if it is possible. 
    Is there any vision from the transport authority as to how to alleviate this !!

Thanks fitzparker, It doesnt sound too bad from what you mention and glad I am only looking to SandyFord.
    I would really like to get public transport and get rid of the cost of a car, so will continue to look for ppl who have experience(d) with this, and see if it is possible. 
    Is there any vision from the transport authority as to how to alleviate this !!

no worries, it's not too bad. in contrast we left early and hit the M11 at 6:10am this morning and got to deansgrange at 7:10. huge difference.

One of the girls in work gets train from arklow, its €100 a week for ticket, she gets off at blackrock and gets the free central park bus up (where work is) if she misses it the 114 drops you into sandyford.

to be honest if you have a diesel car it will cost less than €100 a week.

d31b0y wrote: »
    Newtown has become so bad in recent weeks that I find myself coming off at Newtown south and heading towards Kilcoole then through Greystones to get to the Southern Cross.
    That's leaving to be at Southern Cross for 0730. Takes me about 50 minutes.

There's Quill road that leads on to the back of Kilmac that might shorten some delays. Never took it myself. Donnelly's lane too, runs from the Glenview to Quill road and then on down to Kilmac. That one is marked as private though and looks tiny. I'm sure some people take it all the same.
    3vptcgT.png

thanks, might give it a go, although i left 15 minutes earlier today and arrived 40 mins quicker!

Hi guys

I'm trying to look for it jobs and commute but to get back at some reasonable hour.

I know someone on here has been championing the rail system but not sure I want to be going city centre(too long .. maybe) and not sure if it passes any other it hub then that I am missing.

also its probably just as easy going straight to City centre than get to sandyford from blackrock, although further away the train leaves you directly there sometimes my workmate if she misses the bus goes straight to city centre and gets the luas out.

fitzparker wrote: »
    no worries, it's not too bad. in contrast we left early and hit the M11 at 6:10am this morning and got to deansgrange at 7:10. huge difference.

One of the girls in work gets train from arklow, its €100 a week for ticket, she gets off at blackrock and gets the free central park bus up (where work is) if she misses it the 114 drops you into sandyford.

to be honest if you have a diesel car it will cost less than €100 a week.

Sure but it's time spent driving , maintaining and insurance ... 100++

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

I drive from Gorey to Tallaght everyday Monday-Friday. Costs less than €100 in diesel and takes roughly 1 hour. I'd love to take public transport, but to get to Tallaght I need to go into the city center, then get the bus out which can take around 3 hours each way. I don't mind the commute, although flexy hours really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Hi guys

Doff wrote: »
    I drive from Gorey to Tallaght everyday Monday-Friday. Costs less than €100 in diesel and takes roughly 1 hour. I'd love to take public transport, but to get to Tallaght I need to go into the city center, then get the bus out which can take around 3 hours each way. I don't mind the commute, although flexy hours really helps.

I drive from Gorey to Ballymun daily and it costs me around €70/75 a week in diesel. However, the real cost isn’t just the fuel. Allowing for the diesel, tax, insurance, toll charges, car servicing, car loan and other things that I might have missed, I reckon my commute costs in the region of €10,000 a year. The mileage is around 30,000 a year so this has a big effect on servicing costs.
    Anyone who doesn’t use the M50 and prefers to go through the city centre will use extra fuel and extra servicing costs. I have tried both routes and have found that the toll charges are worth it. (I’ve been commuting for 24 years)
    Traffic congestion is definitely a problem and if flexitime is an option then that’s well worth exploiting. I have found that the traffic in the morning at the Glen of the Downs is getting progressively worse and if you get there too late it can take over half an hour just to get past the Loughlinstown exit. I try to leave these days at 5.30 (yes, 5.30) to get ahead of this chaos and even then it’s very busy.
    Coming home can be hit and miss and accidents are a regular occurrence. Once that happens then it’s a wild guess as to how long it will take. Every so often I’ve had a three to four hour journey home as traffic comes to a standstill for what can turn out to be s very minor bump but the fender benders insist on not moving from blocking two lanes and causing chaos.
    For anyone considering commuting as part of their daily work schedule, anything that takes longer than an hour needs to think carefully. Your sanity will depend on it. It is regularly stressful (‘is’ not ‘can be’ !) and does push a lot of responsibility on your partner to deal with a lot of the household, family and school issues. It’s a decision for family consideration, not just the commuter.
    Like I said, I’ve been doing it for 24 years now. The commuting creates its problems but for us the problems are considerably outweighed by the benefits of living where we are. I suppose the point I’m making is that this is something to be discussed with the whole family to ensure that all the issues are considered.

Advertisement