Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employee loan dispute

Options
  • 07-11-2017 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

In the process of changing job
    Long story short I have an outstanding employee loan - only issue is the amount due, in that earlier this year some overtime was worked and in lieu of payment the OT due was to be paid off the loan - now appears that its wasnt.
    But this should be provable with time cards / payslip etc. But employer is dragging heels and insisting on amount be deducted and OT payment be settled after end date.
    There is also a bonus due with employer agreeing in principal but wants to settle exact amount after end date

My main query is can I refuse to have the total loan deducted from final salary until other figures are agreed upon?
    Or do i have to abide by employers wishes and pay full loan and sort out what I am owed there after ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Most employee contracts have a clause stating that any overpayments, loans, extra leave taken can be deducted from your final payment so they are going to do this anyway if your last pay check exceeds your outstanding loan so it probably is easier for wage calculations if you pay off the loan, then they do a straightforward calculation of your final pay including overtime, bonus etc. Best to look for the cleanest way to exit with a good reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

davo10 wrote: »
    Most employee contracts have a clause stating that any overpayments, loans, extra leave taken can be deducted from your final payment so they are going to do this anyway if your last pay check exceeds your outstanding loan so it probably is easier for wage calculations if you pay off the loan, then they do a straightforward calculation of your final pay including overtime, bonus etc. Best to look for the cleanest way to exit with a good reference.
    There's no argument from me re what I owe
    Its just what they owe me that is in contention
    My problem is that there will be enough to clear whats owed and I reckon they will just take that and leave me hanging for what I am owed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

micks wrote: »
    There's no argument from me re what I owe
    Its just what they owe me that is in contention
    My problem is that there will be enough to clear whats owed and I reckon they will just take that and leave me hanging for what I am owed

How do you know this? They told you they will do your wage calculation in your final pay check, they tot up the hours worked then deduct any overpayments, extra leave etc and pay you the balance. That is what all employers do. To be fair, any employer that offers loans to its employees is going far beyond the call of duty, so it's unlikely they would stiff you, its more likely they would get stiffed by an employee leaving without paying their loan off.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

davo10 wrote: »
    How do you know this? They told you they will do your wage calculation in your final pay check, they tot up the hours worked then deduct any overpayments, extra leave etc and pay you the balance. That is what all employers do. To be fair, any employer that offers loans to its employees is going far beyond the call of duty, so it's unlikely they would stiff you, its more likely they would get stiffed by an employee leaving without paying their loan off.
    I dont know for sure

But It took me 30 minutes to go through payslips and put figures
    My guess is It would take them less than that and that they have a payroll system that would tell them what they need to know in seconds

They can send me my deductions for the loan and outstanding in minutes
    But They cant go through and confirm what I am owed in the next week or two and say it will be december pay run before they can confirm the figures

Advertisement