Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottled gas, Flogas vs Calorgas? or....

Options
  • 07-11-2017 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,
    i am getting a gas hob shortly (for the 1st time) and I don't know much about getting refill, deposit for the 1st gas cylinder, ecc ecc

Now, i have few questions. I live in Galway city and I was told tha in Co. Galway Martyn Fuels deals with Calor Gas and Ned Forde with Flogas, and it would be better to get delivery for the 34kg propane cylinder due to weight

Is there a big price difference between the 2 (Martyn > Flogas and Forde>Calorgas)
    quality in service?

Is it better to get 11kg or a 34kg gas cylinder?

or both . the 34kg to use regularely and the 11kg as emergency back up
    (eg Xmas day , 34kg empty and no way of cooking lunch!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I have a 34kg cylinder thats nearly empty that you can have for free, just come and collect. That will get you up and running and when it runs empty, it will save you the deposit €. (PM me if your interested)

Most petrol stations stock 34kg and 11kg cylinders so if you can fit the empty one in your car, then you'll never be too stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I have a gas hob and use the standard 11kg butane yellow flogas bottles just as you would a bbq. It lasts about a year of every day usage for a family of 4. I have two bottles, as we have a bbq too, which makes it handy as you're very unlucky for both to run out at the exact same time.

Nearly every corner shop or petrol station can hook you up. It costs extra the first time as you're paying for the canister and gas. Subsequently you just swap them and pay a lesser refill price. Therefore don't be too concerned about the condition of the bottle you first get as you won't be keeping it. Be aware they only do refills for the same brand gas (mainly Flogas and Calor) so make sure whichever you pick is conveniently available.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turniton

thank you both.

ok, so the 11kg actually lasts quite a while...
    I actually have a bad back and the 11 kg would probably work better (less weight!)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

You'll never get that deposit back. Even by ringing flogas or calor directly. I may have a spare empty 11kg that you can have for free. I've never had any issues replacing them bottles anywhere in Galway no matter what brand/company I have. They'll accept anything.
    €27 delivered seems to be the going rate for the 11kg

ok, i understand.

and is there a difference in price between Flogas and Calor gas?

any of them doing offer or loyalty card as such?

• Advertisement

also.
    Contacted both but got more and quicker info from FloGas

€60 service charge (empty cylinder) and €94 for the 34KG cylinder delivered (refill). would that be a standard price? good, bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭slystallone

Is the full 34kg Heavy to lift into a car or they are manageable?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

very heavy and needs decent boot with seats folded down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Get it delivered! A 34kg cylinder is heavy and very bulky and cumbersome. You’re not getting it in or out of your car boot without doing injury to yourself and/or damage to your car.

Martyn’s as mentioned above will deliver and there are others. Personally I’ve used Frank Lee many times, a gent to deal with, delivered to your door and takes the empties away.

Advertisement