Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find a job in Leixlip and around area

Options
  • 06-11-2017 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Okay so, the thing is that I would like to stay in Ireland. I've came here because my boyfriend lives with his dad in Leixlip. We are living in very small apartment and we'd like to change it for something bigger, a house with a small garden preferably. But it's gonna take a while so I'm stuck in Leixlip.
    I came here for a summer job but would like to stay longer, maybe go to school and just generally live here. But first of all, I need money. I found a ****ty job in Clondalkin where I couldn't get a letter for PPS for a while and they took loads of money through taxes from me. It's very hard communicating with them and thus it might take time to get the tax money back, they sometimes don't call for weeks, I have to go there by bike and I don't think I can have social welfare until they fire me, I feel so stuck in this situation but they need people there, to make more money. Of course, I wouldn't want to stay.
    But I need money as well, so.. I'd like to ask you guys. Maybe some of you know a job in the area? I'd love to stay in Leixlip or work in Maynooth/Lucan. Or maybe you can guide me to get money through authorities? Or what could I do to gain some finances to help us move and get a better living here. Some advice frome experienced people out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Check jobs advertised online, or identify companies where you would like to work.
    Apply with cover letter and cv.
    Surely it's the same in every country?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Failoore

Tenigate wrote: »
    Check jobs advertised online, or identify companies where you would like to work.
    Apply with cover letter and cv.
    Surely it's the same in every country?

Well I do that almost everyday. I'd take any job but the thing is that I am stuck in this area and it rarely has new job opportunities. If I'd like to travel to Dublin for work, first of all I could never be on time because buses work from 6 and second, they'd prefer people who live in Dublin over me. That goes for other big cities in Ireland as well. I tried to apply for night shifts but of course, without response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

There are two train stations and a bus route that serve Leixlip. Can you do office work? See if you can temp for a while, and then hopefully get something permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Look up CPL. They employ people doing tech support in HP.

You mention school. Do you mean post-primary, or college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

If I had any Intel for you I'd let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The Range are opening a new store in Maynooth, near Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭G.G.G.

Trains are pretty reliable, see how packed they are,you'll see how many people leave leixlip for work. It's a satellite,commuter town. Used to live there and I'd take the train to town (Dublin city) a hundred times before I'd get the bus if I had to be there by a specific time. Best of luck, dead end jobs and constant financial pressure can be soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kcbells

Living in Dublin is expensive in general - rent, cost of living and transport etc.

Have you thought about moving somewhere cheaper? Understandable you want to stay in Dublin, but think about the bigger picture. You could rent somewhere very nice in a different part of Ireland.

Accountant Online are currently hiring in Co. Donegal - that could be an option for you? Previous experience isn't necessary because they're looking for someone who's enthusiastic about learning. PLUS they're open to giving you further supports to get qualifications!

Worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly if OP can’t find work while residing in easy commute of Dublin which has the greatest employment opportunities in the country.
    Moving farther away won’t improve things. The farther you are from Dublin the less and less employment opportunities there are.

There are two train stations and a bus route that serve Leixlip. Can you do office work? See if you can temp for a while, and then hopefully get something permanent.

Dublin Bus doesn't have any jobs available, Irish Rail does, seems like I have very little chance but I will give it a try, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Failoore wrote: »
    Dublin Bus doesn't have any jobs available, Irish Rail does, seems like I have very little chance but I will give it a try, thanks!

As in commute. Not work for them!

the_syco wrote: »

I believe HP doesn't have any jobs open for someone who doesn't have a qualification or experience in similar position.

I mean college. I have a year of college made back in Slovakia, I'd like to maybe start here from first one or possibly from second year but I have a whole year before I can start semester.
    If I had any Intel for you I'd let you know

Oh, thank you.
    The Range are opening a new store in Maynooth, near Tesco.

Thank you so much! I'll look it up.
    G.G.G. wrote: »
    Trains are pretty reliable, see how packed they are,you'll see how many people leave leixlip for work. It's a satellite,commuter town. Used to live there and I'd take the train to town (Dublin city) a hundred times before I'd get the bus if I had to be there by a specific time. Best of luck, dead end jobs and constant financial pressure can be soul destroying.

You mean, trains are better way to get to Dublin? Because as far as I know they start even later than buses do.
    kcbells wrote: »
    Living in Dublin is expensive in general - rent, cost of living and transport etc.

Have you thought about moving somewhere cheaper? Understandable you want to stay in Dublin, but think about the bigger picture. You could rent somewhere very nice in a different part of Ireland.

Accountant Online are currently hiring in Co. Donegal - that could be an option for you? Previous experience isn't necessary because they're looking for someone who's enthusiastic about learning. PLUS they're open to giving you further supports to get qualifications!

Worth looking into.

I have thought about it but the thing is, here, I have cheaper rent so I can save lot of money every week/month (if I had work, of course) and both my bf and his dad still go to school in Maynooth. So I'd have to be separated and honestly if I have to go live on my own, I think I would choose different country overall, I only have bad experience with living in here.
    _Brian wrote: »
    Honestly if OP can’t find work while residing in easy commute of Dublin which has the greatest employment opportunities in the country.
    Moving farther away won’t improve things. The farther you are from Dublin the less and less employment opportunities there are.

Yes I am aware of that. but a lot of jobs start from 6 am if not sooner and I don't have a car. So there's no way I could be on time with bus or train. Also again, if it's a job offer in Dublin, they'll prefer someone local over me. If I had to get a job that would suit me in Dublin or somewhere in the area, there'd be so little offers, if any.
    I mean, even now, with a job in Clndalkin I go by bike rather than bus because with bike it takes like 15-25 minutes less but I have to get up early and go to work while it's still dark outside and it's risky, hard and just not healthy.
    And it's fricking 10 kms away from me. I'd never think I'd have such a hard time going to place so close to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

What kind of work are you looking for?

What kind of work are you looking for?

Any, really.
    If it helps, I have 3 months experience in Glitel company as a store assistant, 6 months as a waitress and 5 as a cleaner. All are just "in-between school" jobs, more like a.. summer jobs. Except for the cleaning, thats one and only work I found in Ireland since I came here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

That's a soul destroying kip... CPL have basically taken over that site. Why would put this poor girl through that :eek:

That's a soul destroying kip... CPL have basically taken over that site. Why would put this poor girl through that :eek:

Seems like they don't even have any job offers atm anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Yes I am aware of that. but a lot of jobs start from 6 am if not sooner and I don't have a car. So there's no way I could be on time with bus or train.
    Any, really.
    If it helps, I have 3 months experience in Glitel company as a store assistant, 6 months as a waitress and 5 as a cleaner. All are just "in-between school" jobs, more like a.. summer jobs. Except for the cleaning, thats one and only work I found in Ireland since I came here.

A lot of jobs in those industries start after 6am and you could commute from Leixlip to Dublin for them.

A lot of jobs in those industries start after 6am and you could commute from Leixlip to Dublin for them.

Seems like it's my only option. I will try to throw as many CVs as possible into job offers in Dublin. Though I tried it before and I don't see it as good, I had no answer or I was rejected.

Seems like it's my only option. I will try to throw as many CVs as possible into job offers in Dublin. Though I tried it before and I don't see it as good, I had no answer or I was rejected.

Can I suggest you get an Irish person to have a look at your CV to make sure it ticks all the boxes.

I say this because I met a guy at a barbecue in Bratislava who was looking for a job as a software engineer in the company I worked in. He sent me his CV and it was a mess with more details about his family than his career. I tidied it up and long story short he got it and he's still there 5 years later.

Thats the first thing I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I agree with having someone looking over your cv. I do this regularly for friends of mine and have found some howlers.

One had a brilliant cv at very senior level...but had no address, email or phone number on it! Obviously they would contact him through the cosmos.

Another had ten pages on his very first job in the 1970s, but only two lines on his current job.

Another didn't have his degree listed but did have the fact he won a swimming medal in the Leixlip Gala in 1991.

What about going the other way for work? A number of the pharma companies are crying out for workers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Fire off your CV to Westerwood global, they recruit staff for Intel on all career levels. They are based in Maynooth Business Campus.

http://www.westerwoodglobal.com

jobs@westerwoodglobal.com

It's a job. Do it for 6 months, and get a job somewhere else. It's a nice name on the CV.
    Seems like they don't even have any job offers atm anyway.
    When doing a search, search for "west Dublin" as they still haven't figured out that Leixlip is not in Dublin... :pac:
    Technical Support - No experience requiered
    Role Description

The Job

Hewlett Packard is looking for English native speakers willing to start a career in IT and join a multilingual, young and international team.
    https://www.cpl.ie/Job/JO-1611-342276_963?title=Technical-Support---No-experience-requiered
    Do you speak any other languages other than english?

Can I suggest you get an Irish person to have a look at your CV to make sure it ticks all the boxes.

I say this because I met a guy at a barbecue in Bratislava who was looking for a job as a software engineer in the company I worked in. He sent me his CV and it was a mess with more details about his family than his career. I tidied it up and long story short he got it and he's still there 5 years later.

Thats the first thing I would do.
    amtc wrote: »
    I agree with having someone looking over your cv. I do this regularly for friends of mine and have found some howlers.

One had a brilliant cv at very senior level...but had no address, email or phone number on it! Obviously they would contact him through the cosmos.

Another had ten pages on his very first job in the 1970s, but only two lines on his current job.

Another didn't have his degree listed but did have the fact he won a swimming medal in the Leixlip Gala in 1991.

What about going the other way for work? A number of the pharma companies are crying out for workers

If you guys would be interested and kind enough, I'd gladly send over my CV so you could tell me what it lacks.

Crying out for wokers? I haven't really seen online any job offers lately. Maybe I should put CVs in person, you have any recommendations?

Fire off your CV to Westerwood global, they recruit staff for Intel on all career levels. They are based in Maynooth Business Campus.

http://www.westerwoodglobal.com

jobs@westerwoodglobal.com

Thank you so much! Will surely do that!
    It's a job. Do it for 6 months, and get a job somewhere else. It's a nice name on the CV.

When doing a search, search for "west Dublin" as they still haven't figured out that Leixlip is not in Dublin... :pac:

https://www.cpl.ie/Job/JO-1611-342276_963?title=Technical-Support---No-experience-requiered
    Do you speak any other languages other than english?

Okay I'll try to search up. About languages, not really. Being from Slovakia, of course I can speak Slovak, Czech and little bit o Polish, maybe Russian as it's similar. Other than that I know basic german language. I don't think I'd have trouble learning new ones but I just don't know which to choose so that would help me with possible career or something.

Fluent I'd say. On paper, it's B2 certificate.

Okay I'll try to search up. About languages, not really. Being from Slovakia, of course I can speak Slovak, Czech and little bit o Polish, maybe Russian as it's similar. Other than that I know basic german language. I don't think I'd have trouble learning new ones but I just don't know which to choose so that would help me with possible career or something.
    They usually prefer mother-tongue German (as they can get Germans), but throw your CV in. CPL has it's fingers in many pies. Heck, whilst I was in HP, they supplied staff to HP's competitor, IBM. And others.
    Fluent I'd say. On paper, it's B2 certificate.
    Try the translation thing for the craic; it may be a handy number, or it may open some doors for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I sent you two private messages with some suggestions. Have a review and send back to me and I'll have a final review!

Advertisement