Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tired of the office snitch

Options
  • 06-11-2017 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am relatively new to my job-- I've been here almost 2 months. When I first started, everything seemed great-- however I noticed a tension in the office. Shortly after I started, two people in the office "just left for no reason".
    There is an individual in our office who I will call "J". She is constantly running back to the boss, as well as other people in the office, talking badly about everyone. It's to the point that even my boss has been unkind to me for apparently no reason, but it may be the work of the office snitch.
    She has recently been very snarky with me and the other people in the office, except when the boss is around at which time she is super nice to everyone. It makes everyone uncomfortable to the point that no one wants to speak to each other.
    Not only does she speak badly about the other employees, she will talk badly about the boss to the rest of us. I don't want to say anything because I would be just as bad as her if I were to go back to my boss and tell her what's going on, but honestly it has become unbearable not only for me-- but for the other people in the office. 
    I'm not sure how to handle this diplomatically without sounding like a snitch myself. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Standard fare in office politics. Learn how to play the game, keep the head down, do your job well and look for opportunity to impress the boss. Not what you want to hear but thats the way it works, everywhere.

Stay clear of the snitch but keep her onside. Don’t engage in conflict or bitching. If it gets worse for you there seems to be lots of jobs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

You should write down any incidents that upset/bother you. Im not sure psychological bullying is accepted as normal in many companies. I wouldnt entertain it for too long. Lifes too short. But protect yourself by documenting all improper behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 conacks

Look at the snitch as a positive......now that you know that everything you tell her goes back to the boss you can use this to your advantage to feed back any information you want.
    I had a similar situation before and the rest of us schemed together to bring her down a peg or two by one of us dropping hints that another member of staff is snitching to the boss and getting very pally with him and the boss wasn't saying anything too favorable about her. This made her as paranoid as hell and she didn't know what to do but it broke her link to the boss as she didn't trust that he had her back anymore. She left maybe a year and half later

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

I am relatively new to my job-- I've been here almost 2 months. When I first started, everything seemed great-- however I noticed a tension in the office. Shortly after I started, two people in the office "just left for no reason".
    There is an individual in our office who I will call "J". She is constantly running back to the boss, as well as other people in the office, talking badly about everyone. It's to the point that even my boss has been unkind to me for apparently no reason, but it may be the work of the office snitch.
    She has recently been very snarky with me and the other people in the office, except when the boss is around at which time she is super nice to everyone. It makes everyone uncomfortable to the point that no one wants to speak to each other.
    Not only does she speak badly about the other employees, she will talk badly about the boss to the rest of us. I don't want to say anything because I would be just as bad as her if I were to go back to my boss and tell her what's going on, but honestly it has become unbearable not only for me-- but for the other people in the office. 
    I'm not sure how to handle this diplomatically without sounding like a snitch myself. Any advice?
    Just remember op SNITCHES GET STICHES!!!! You hear me ???

Advertisement