Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I really wish I went straight into 5th year

Options
  • 06-11-2017 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I hate TY so much. I don't know why I did. Maybe because of friends? idk. I already know what I want to do in college and the subjects I want to do in 5th year. I hate the way there are no exams and I hate the way we do nothing in class.

It's a good thing I started the leaving cert course for each subject during the summer because honestly if I did no study this year I don't know how I would have ended up in 5th year...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

I'm just after finishing TY and I'm in 5th year now. Take it as a break from academics and exams but learn new things. Don't wait for teachers to give you projects or work, everything is really up to you.
    Sign up to programmes for TY students. Trinity, UCD, DIT and DCU do some and if you think you already know what you want to do, that's even better because you can try and apply for a programme that is focused on the field you want to enter.
    Learn new skills. You can learn to code online or, again, there are many TY programmes that are available around this subject as they're trying to encourage more students towards STEM and IT.
    It really is down to yourself to find new things to do, whether it be volunteering, trying out a new sport, extra work experiences etc. Make the time and opportunities count. Go for every competition out there and push yourself to do more. Life isn't just about academics. Learning how to be a leader, vocal, patient, understanding and being able to work in a team are just as important and TY is a time where you have the opportunity to work on these skills. TY is what you make of it.
    There are numerous TY websites where you can find programmes and work experiences. I found them really helpful and got a lot of my placements and programmes from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

naxmax9 wrote: »
    I hate TY so much. I don't know why I did. Maybe because of friends? idk. I already know what I want to do in college and the subjects I want to do in 5th year. I hate the way there are no exams and I hate the way we do nothing in class.

It's a good thing I started the leaving cert course for each subject during the summer because honestly if I did no study this year I don't know how I would have ended up in 5th year...

I really hated the first half of TY. But the second half turned out to be some of the best months of my life. The difference was I started doing loads of stuff outside of school - in my opinion, the more time you spend out on programmes and work experience the better! You won't love then all, but it's important because you get to know what you do/don't like!:)

Advertisement