Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total War: Rome II Empire Divided

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saw this on Twitter via the Total War subreddit:
    https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/927551144293027841

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah that's the one they'd up on facebook earlier too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

This is actually a genius idea.

New content will keep long time fans happy and great way to entice new fans in.

looks like there's to be an official announcement on tomorrows regular twitch stream tomorrow at 3pm
    https://go.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

By the way, did they ever fix Rome II? I've a new PC and am finally in a position to play it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

By the way, did they ever fix Rome II? I've a new PC and am finally in a position to play it.

nnnyeahkindof.. they patched it to the hilt and rereleased it as "emperor edition" with a bunch of new content but it was the worst of the TW titles, even when they "fixed" it.

I loaded it up the other day to see how it'd run on this machine, hadnt played it almost since it's epic failure of a launch - it does play a lot better, but the original was just done so much better. They did make some major improvements with 'Attila', but it was basically the game that Rome should have been and it still wasnt as good as the original Rome.

If ye dont own it, then dont own it. Grab Shogun 2 or WH/2, both vastly superior games. That's what i'm hoping for with this new title, they really need to make a good historical one to match how well they did with WH

nnnyeahkindof.. they patched it to the hilt and rereleased it as "emperor edition" with a bunch of new content but it was the worst of the TW titles, even when they "fixed" it.

I loaded it up the other day to see how it'd run on this machine, hadnt played it almost since it's epic failure of a launch - it does play a lot better, but the original was just done so much better. They did make some major improvements with 'Attila', but it was basically the game that Rome should have been and it still wasnt as good as the original Rome.

If ye dont own it, then dont own it. Grab Shogun 2 or WH/2, both vastly superior games. That's what i'm hoping for with this new title, they really need to make a good historical one to match how well they did with WH

Thanks D! I must've picked all of them save for the Warhammer titles in some sale or Humble Bundle or something. Until recently, I've only had the laptop which has limited me to Rome, Medieval II & Empire.

As truly wonderful as the original Rome is, it's engine can only utilise 2GB of RAM and a single processor core so it's a tragedy that the sequel is so botched. I keep forgetting about Shogun 2 for some reason which is odd given that it was the best regarded of the series until Warhammer.

H. H. Asquith

I keep forgetting about Shogun 2 for some reason which is odd given that it was the best regarded of the series until Warhammer.

Play it. It's awesome.

I started playing total war back in the first shogun days and it's a definitely a worthy successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Also Fall of the Samurai for Shogun 2 is the best add-on to any of the total war games in my opinion.

I will never forget my sheer joy at my mostly traditional samurai army encountering an enemy army that was heavy with rifles . The sheer satisfaction of the well disciplined samurai katana units charging the rifle lines and cutting them to ribbons if they reached them made for some tactically interesting scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Medieval 2 was the greatest. Everything since has sucked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Huge fan of Medieval 2 and all the mods which were out at the time, been going back through my catalog recently and was playing Napoleon again, might give Medieval 2 a shot next. I was never a fan Shogun 2 but that's based on having more of an interest in Roman/European history. It will be interesting to see what happens with this announcement as i was never that gone on Rome 2.

pawrick wrote: »
    Huge fan of Medieval 2 and all the mods which were out at the time, been going back through my catalog recently and was playing Napoleon again, might give Medieval 2 a shot next. I was never a fan Shogun 2 but that's based on having more of an interest in Roman/European history. It will be interesting to see what happens with this announcement as i was never that gone on Rome 2.

Rome 2 Emperor Edition was good to be fair - I particularily liked to play as egypt - Good starting position and mix of units.

Shame it took so long, and so many game breaking bugs in it when it first launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Rome 2 Emperor Edition was good to be fair - I particularily liked to play as egypt - Good starting position and mix of units.

Shame it took so long, and so many game breaking bugs in it when it first launched.

It was good but I preferred the old structure where you could micro manage family lines. I like that part of the game in Crusader Kings 2 and that took over as my go to game from the Total war series as a result. Each to their own though.

Medieval 2 was the greatest. Everything since has sucked.

I think this is a bit harsh. I found Empire to be enjoyable though the combat does lack depth given that it's based on groups of men shooting at each other. It's certainly a weak follow up to Medieval II.

I have it and the DLC. It's odd that they're coming back to it after so long though.

H. H. Asquith

Well, here it is..
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/694880/Total_War_ROME_II__Empire_Divided/

Empire Divided - and very little info apart from the usual blurb on the steam page, and it releases in 3 weeks..

I'm not filled with confidence tbh, and there's no mention of it being standalone, which contradicts what i've read from CA officially.

Also it's not a sequel, it's dlc! Bah, they overhyped this on social media.
    Hope it at least lives up to some of the hype but as it's Rome II i'm gonna be waiting til other people guineapig it for me

Seems to overlap with Barbarian Invasion and Attila.

H. H. Asquith

Well the active player numbers each month for Rome 2 that they are stating are really high for a game of its age, and it makes sense to support the user base that may have no interest in the fantasy / warhammer titles.

I just reinstalled rome 2 last night, so will give it a whirl soon. After 2 playthroughs of warhmmer 2 i need a change of scenery for a bit, and will wait for mortal empires to get patched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's a bit underwhelming to be honest, but I suppose I'll probably give it a whirl. I desperately wanted to like Atilla but the Hun mechanics (constantly spawning free stacks for the AI Hun player ... of God Tier units) really ****ing pissed me off.

If they bring back a few of the older mechanics, ilke family trees, maybe armies without generals, things like that, it would be great.

Apparently there is a patch going to be released to overhaul the base game.

Sounds like a lot of features are being brought over from the warhammer games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I just want a huge map like in Empire Total War. I hate small maps but the first Shogun Total War got me into them and that was a small enough map. I don't own or have played Rome 2 yet so maybe i should hold off and get them bundled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

People really liked the heroes in Warhammer, obviously you can't go as far in a historic but there's a lot they can still do.

Only issue with Rome 2 is that it isn't orcy enuf.

Varik wrote: »
    People really liked the heroes in Warhammer, obviously you can't go as far in a historic but there's a lot they can still do.

Only issue with Rome 2 is that it isn't orcy enuf.

Just build a mod to turn the invading Huns into Orcs and Chaos and you will be sorted.

I cant see the roman legions lasting long though !

Started a playthrough of the emperor edition Imperator Augustus campaign.

Man how i miss alot of what i took for granted in Warhammer total war. The general and agent rank progression is poorly laid out in the cards system vs warhammer total war. The diplomacy is even less transparent, and the AI still suffers from odd glitches where its units seem to get stuck on the battle map and you can spend all day chasing them to finish the battle.

I started and restarted campaigns yesterday as Sparta only to have my backside handed to me which is a bit disappointing. The tutorials which are present in Shogun 2 and Empire are gone. The layout seems awfully confusing as does the Political and Imperium screens.

Perhaps I should have stared with Shogun 2...

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

im playing Pompeys Rome for the first time. Interesting challenge

im playing Pompeys Rome for the first time. Interesting challenge

That damn Pompey declared war on me straight away on my playthrough and tried to take carthage and north africa from me . I wiped him out though but Octavian declared war on me in the middle of my move against Pompey so i took the opportunity to move up through sicily and just booted him outta rome.

Just waiting for that Anthony bollox to declare war.

Where/who did you decide to move against first ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That damn Pompey declared war on me straight away on my playthrough and tried to take carthage and north africa from me . I wiped him out though but Octavian declared war on me in the middle of my move against Pompey so i took the opportunity to move up through sicily and just booted him outta rome.

Just waiting for that Anthony bollox to declare war.

Where/who did you decide to move against first ?

I actually took out some of the minor settlements on North Africa first. Then waited for Anthonys Rome to be at war with Lepidus Rome. So when they were weakened, Octavians Rome got involved, so I took over all of North Africa with relative ease actually. Still havent gotten Egypt yet, but rest of North Africa is under my Control. I was also able to size Lusitania & Baetica in Portugal and Spain.

So far so good!!!

Had to go through paypal twice to not use my Steam wallet.

But it's ordered now.

Not everyone's cup of tea by any stretch but Legendoftotalwar has a Let's Play up for this:

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Not everyone's cup of tea by any stretch but Legendoftotalwar has a Let's Play up for this:

Can't see your link in your post but can see my quote of your post.

??

Advertisement