Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g BB connecting to linksys router wrt54g

Options
  • 05-11-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

With the above it is possible to set up a static IP address?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Internal? External? As you mentioned 4G I'll assume external, in which case you need to talk to your provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

I'm just using a 3 payg sim in a USB stick connected to a tp link wireless router. This the main household BB connection. Then that's connected to the Linksys router. So ideally I'd like to set up a static IP address on the latter so that I can use services that require a static IP address.
    ED E wrote: »
    Internal? External? As you mentioned 4G I'll assume external, in which case you need to talk to your provider.

What you've described is conflicting.

The TP is your networks edge, it gets an IP from 3 currently in the 10. range. You need Three to change you over to a public address. What IP the latter(being the Linksys there) has is wholly irrelevant to external services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What you've described is conflicting.

The TP is your networks edge, it gets an IP from 3 currently in the 10. range. You need Three to change you over to a public address. What IP the latter(being the Linksys there) has is wholly irrelevant to external services.[is a /quote]

And Three will not supply a dedicated public IP address...

And Three will not supply a dedicated public IP address...

They used to upon request on the Talk2 forum here.

• Advertisement

So an IP address can only be set by the company providing you your BB?

I am using a phone sim to provide BB so I doubt they'd provide me with a static IP address if I asked.

I'll look at other options else I will have to wait until BB improves in my area.

Thanks for the input so far.

They used to upon request on the Talk2 forum here.

Something else I'm noticing with this setup id the following.

I have virtual landline and I use it with an app called csipsimple on my android phone. It works fine when connected to the TP Link wireless router howvere when it doesn't work when I connect it to the linksys router. The former is upstairs and the latter is downstairs.

The Linksys router is connected to the TP-Link wan via homeplugs and all works fine apart from the above issue.

Configure the Linksys as an access point. Right now you have Triple NAT (Anything more than single has problems).

Configure the Linksys as an access point. Right now you have Triple NAT (Anything more than single has problems).

Will do, is the USB stick one NAT, the TP-Link the 2nd and the Linksys the 3rd then?

Worked a charm

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Will do, is the USB stick one NAT, the TP-Link the 2nd and the Linksys the 3rd then?

Actually Three is the first, the TP the 2nd and Linksys the third. You're now down to double which will function for most things ok.

Actually Three is the first, the TP the 2nd and Linksys the third. You're now down to double which will function for most things ok.

So am I best off buying a sim compatible router like the Hauwei B315?

Advertisement