Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbos One - data load

Options
  • 05-11-2017 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Son is looking at an XBox One for Xmas. We have been told that a lot of the games are download only, particularly the ones that come free as part of the package deal. We have also been told that the machine needs regular updates to be done over the internet.

We do not have a good internet service where we live. In fact, we have only got 30Gb per month of a download allowance. Better internet is not an option, current provider is the only game in town.

If he gets the machine, will is be useless to him without unlimited data? Or is there a workaround anyone has experienced to overcome this? Don't want to get it for him and not be able to enjoy all its functions?

Help???

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm afraid that's not even the size of a single game in most cases. Do you have a friend with good internet you could use when it needs updates or when you want to download a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm afraid that's not even the size of a single game in most cases. Do you have a friend with good internet you could use when it needs updats or when you want to download a game?
    Yea, that would be an option. Just the nuisance of it is a turn off.

How large would the regular updates be, on average? Surely not as large as a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I have slow internet but no data caps fortunately so I know the hassle of having to download large game files.

From experience even buying games on disc you will nearly download the full game again with updates even if you buy the game disc on day one.

Game size depends on game average is 30GB's but some are a lot larger and some smaller. And once you have the game downloaded you are going to have to update a fair amount of times depending on game. Of the games I own the worst offenders are Halo 5 and Gears of War 4. They have really large updates fairly regular. Mostly new maps for online play. I played Halo a few times online but not GOW 4 so I do not know why I update them when I never play them online.

Also it is not just Xbox One the Playstation is probably the same but I do not own a PS, I'm just basing this on the fact that I have to update my PC games a lot also.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

cabledude wrote: »
    Yea, that would be an option. Just the nuisance of it is a turn off.

How large would the regular updates be, on average? Surely not as large as a game?

OS upadates tend to be around 700mb, patches and updates for games could be several GB.

I have slow internet but no data caps fortunately so I know the hassle of having to download large game files.

From experience even buying games on disc you will nearly download the full game again with updates even if you buy the game disc on day one.

Game size depends on game average is 30GB's but some are a lot larger and some smaller. And once you have the game downloaded you are going to have to update a fair amount of times depending on game. Of the games I own the worst offenders are Halo 5 and Gears of War 4. They have really large updates fairly regular. Mostly new maps for online play. I played Halo a few times online but not GOW 4 so I do not know why I update them when I never play them online.

Also it is not just Xbox One the Playstation is probably the same but I do not own a PS, I'm just basing this on the fact that I have to update my PC games a lot also.
    Crap. Looks to be a non runner then.......

If, we were to get it and bring the machine to a friends place for updates, how often would it need to be updated?

• Advertisement

Crap. Looks to be a non runner then.......

If, we were to get it and bring the machine to a friends place for updates, how often would it need to be updated?

Well tbh I have a fair amount of games so it seems like every time I turn on the Xbox there a game to be updated but thinking fully about it the updates are not that regular.

Yes when you buy a new game day one as soon as you insert the disc there is always a update to be done but once you get over that you can play the game to the end without any updates. The problem with me is I for some strange reason keep them all installed and update them when there is a update even though in reality I never play them again.

Well tbh I have a fair amount of games so it seems like every time I turn on the Xbox there a game to be updated but thinking fully about it the updates are not that regular.

Yes when you buy a new game day one as soon as you insert the disc there is always a update to be done but once you get over that you can play the game to the end without any updates. The problem with me is I for some strange reason keep them all installed and update them when there is a update even though in reality I never play them again.
    So, buy a game and the machine needs to go online immediately to be able to play?

Son won't be doing any online gaming or multiplayer. Just a dumb terminal as such. But we can update when needed, if needed.

Is it doable this way.

Won't be buying a game every month or anything like it, so it may not be too much of a hassle.

So, buy a game and the machine needs to go online immediately to be able to play?

I do not know as I have mine connected to the internet all the time.

I'm not too knowledgeable on Xbox as I do most of my gaming on PC and just use the Xbox from time to time.

You should really ask over in the Xbox forum here as those guys will know more than me about Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

You hardly have/could get a phone with unlimited data?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get a Nintendo Switch, much smaller downloads in general.

Plus it has 2 of the best games of the decade in Mario Odyssey & Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

This site may be of use to you:
    https://physicalgames.wordpress.com/ps4-update-sizes/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If he intends to play online with his friends all the time then you might run into issues alright. I don't really know about consoles so I'm sure someone can advise if game updates are forced or optional for singleplayer content only?

EDIT if the latter then you'd get away with updating the xbox when you buy it and install all the games you have on it. If the former you'll be screwed as the game won't function without you updating them which happen regularly enough especially games with heavy online elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

You don't have to update the game when you first put the disc into the console. If your Xbox isn't connected to the internet then you can play the games from start to finish without any updates

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

EPAndlee wrote: »
    You don't have to update the game when you first put the disc into the console. If your Xbox isn't connected to the internet then you can play the games from start to finish without any updates

This. It'll likely get an update if online. If not, the game will just run without the update. The disk is a finished functioning product. For it not to work would be completely anti-consumer.

theteal wrote: »
    This. It'll likely get an update if online. If not, the game will just run without the update. The disk is a finished functioning product. For it not to work would be completely anti-consumer.
    This is what I was looking for.

Are there any downsides to not having the machine online?

Will performance or functionality suffer if it is not connected?

Thanks for the replies.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

It will be downloadable he'll miss out on but that depends on the game but I used mine for 18 months without it being online and it was fine. You'll have to update the console when you first turn it on

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

3 network do unlimited data for €20 a month. I don't know about the speeds where you live, but I get around 20mb down here. It's not much good for gaming, very laggy, but it's fine for downloading updates and games, especially vs my 3.5mb I get with eir. Just a thought as a few lads here do the same thing.

3 network do unlimited data for €20 a month. I don't know about the speeds where you live, but I get around 20mb down here. It's not much good for gaming, very laggy, but it's fine for downloading updates and games, especially vs my 3.5mb I get with eir. Just a thought as a few lads here do the same thing.

It will depend on where he lives. I only get a edge signal or G depending on what network I am with. But a minute walk up the road I can get a H+ signal.

Literally, Im at the mercy of Vodafone. Their service is stable and fast, but I'm limited to 30Gb per month. Unless I want to pay €60 for 150Gb; which I don't.

Fixed line not an option for me at all as the local exchange is not broadband enabled. I sh1t you not. 2017 and still on dial up.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

This is what I was looking for.

Are there any downsides to not having the machine online?

Will performance or functionality suffer if it is not connected?

Thanks for the replies.....

Only thing would be if the game is buggy as hell when released and the developers relaease a patch to fix the bugs..you would be advised to download the patch..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

theteal wrote: »

Except this is increasingly NOT the case; many games are shipping "Gold" with (potentially game-breaking) bugs still on the disc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Ultimately you'll be fine with the console being offline. You may occasionally have to update the system but as has been mentioned, it's a reasonable download of less than 1gig and not likely to cause any interruption in the mean time.

Perhaps have it on an unlimited line for the first time it's connected and setup, good to go from there.

Advertisement