Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received SUSI but want to drop out

Options
  • 05-11-2017 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm currently in my first year in ITT. I received 100% of my fees paid and receive €135 a month in maintenance.

I've already changed course because I didn't like my old one, but now I've realised that I just don't like college in general, it's just not for me.

I want to drop out, what do I do? If I drop out now how much will I have to pay back? What if I leave after the end of first year, will I owe anything then?

Please help,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

The sooner you leave the better. You only get the grant once and lets say hypothetically you decide to go back within the next five years then you'll have to wait until second year before you get it. Likewise with the tuition fees and student contribution, you will have to pay the first year in full if yourself if complete the year now.

Hopefully its not too late, I don't know what the deadlines for dropping out/refunding fees and grants etc. for your course is, but its better to only have to pay a quarter or half then the whole shabang.

I know you don't think college is for you but its better to be safe then sorry for the just encase. Also well done for you figuring out its not for you. Its a brave thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jack17c

Do you know if I'll have to pay anything if I wait until May to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Students union might be able to advise and if there's a student advisers department, they might also be able to help. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭DeeAvery

Jack17c wrote: »

Well if you leave in May, fail or pass, presumably you would have already paid for the year. Even if you just attend it counts, you don't have to pass. Whether it's through SUSI or with your own money lots of institutions require payments or setting up payment plans as part of registration.

The grant will only be paid to someone for 4 years (excluding those doing degrees that take longer eg. dentistry and medicine). So if you leave in May without contacting SUSI to stop the payment you will lose one of your years and if you start a new course from year one they won't award you anything until 2nd year. Whats important to remember is you loose the eligibility to the free tuition fees. People just think there is the student contribution, there is also tuition fees to consider which can be higher then the student contrition charge. You'd have to pay both in full if you start a course again within the next five years. Your a 2nd chance student after that, if you qualify as a mature student and meet the means testing etc.

If you left now you might only have to pay for half or a quarter of the year but you would need to contact your fees office and Susi as soon as you can. If you paid fees with your own money you may get full or partial refunds. Your college will have cut off dates rules regarding refunds.

Its also the same with anything in college, like if your failed an exam or something, the best thing you can do is engage with the college e.g. contact your course directors, the students union, the fees and registration offices etc. You may end up regretting it down the line if you don't act on it.

Another option you have is completing and passing the first year and down the line applying for advanced entry into the 2nd year of a degree. But you don't get that automatically, you still have to apply through the CAO and it would be difficult I say for your credits to transfer to something that isn't similar to your current course. I know people who didn't get NCAD or Social Studies(Social Work) in Trinity, They did the courses they did get that were still relevant degrees or below level 8 courses and then transferred into second year through advanced entry. With things like that though you have to contact the relevant course administrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Jack17c wrote: »

You pay nothing back in this circumstance.

Just make sure you inform the college that you have withdrawn from the course. A lot of students that drop out fail to do this and end up not getting further grant assistance later on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement