Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Douglas to the airport business park

Options
  • 05-11-2017 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Got a job on the airport business park. How long should i give it to get on for 8.45am on a typical morning? Driving in. Also what'd be the best cycling route? Thanks folks

Use the Rochestown Park Hotel as a starting point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

cordragza wrote: »
    Got a job on the airport business park. How long should i give it to get on for 8.45am on a typical morning? Driving in. Also what'd be the best cycling route? Thanks folks

Use the Rochestown Park Hotel as a starting point

That's not an easy answer, your fitness levels will play a big part. That hill is a killer, never ending. I'd say absolute minimum of about 40/45mins if your pretty quick on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Cycling would be a lot easier coming home than going !
    I think best route would be RPH to Fingerpost, then Church Road under the bridge . Up Donnybrook Hill then right at lights towards Grange .
    Left at Pinecroft Inn then Cooneys lane up to the top ( longish climb)
    Turn right and straight along to the airport .
    40 mins and 7.5km according to google . you would want to be fairly fit.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rochestown+Park+Hotel,+Rochestown+Rd,+Douglas,+Co.+Cork/Cork+Airport+Business+Park,+Ballycurreen,+Co.+Cork/@51.8636866,-8.4707149,14z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x4842b0fec3d42f73:0x20a3ae6137f84114!2m2!1d-8.4247281!2d51.8794219!1m5!1m1!1s0x48448fa4277cb2f1:0x2600c7a7bb4d1042!2m2!1d-8.48232!2d51.85078!3e1!5i1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Rippy wrote: »
    I think best route would be RPH to Fingerpost, then Church Road under the bridge . Up Donnybrook Hill then right at lights towards Grange .

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Rochestown+Park+Hotel,+Rochestown+Rd,+Douglas,+Co.+Cork/Cork+Airport+Business+Park,+Ballycurreen,+Co.+Cork/@51.8636866,-8.4707149,14z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m5!1m1!1s0x4842b0fec3d42f73:0x20a3ae6137f84114!2m2!1d-8.4247281!2d51.8794219!1m5!1m1!1s0x48448fa4277cb2f1:0x2600c7a7bb4d1042!2m2!1d-8.48232!2d51.85078!3e1!5i1

nah, at Donnybrook don't take that right, instead go straight on and head up via the back roads, you'll be ready for Le Tour de France come next summer :D

Seriously though, Rippy has posted the least hilly route, the hill is longer but less steep. But once your fitness improves you can try the other way...a brilliant way to tie in a good workout and a commute.

I hope your place of work has showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Rippy wrote: »

Nice route.
    I'lll add a scenic option to avoid the dangerous hill; Douglas West to Grange Hill junction: Through Ballybrack woods - enter at Douglas Comm park, exit at Breen's Suzuki.
    I'd say the journey justifies purchase of an electric bike.

Nice route.
    I'lll add a scenic option to avoid the dangerous hill; Douglas West to Grange Hill junction: Through Ballybrack woods - enter at Douglas Comm park, exit at Breen's Suzuki.
    I'd say the journey justifies purchase of an electric bike.

the hill is not dangerous, no need to be scaremongering. It's wide enough with a good hard shoulder for cycling. As long as the cyclist has a good set of lights and high-viz clothing it is perfectly safe.

• Advertisement

the hill is not dangerous, no need to be scaremongering. It's wide enough with a good hard shoulder for cycling. As long as the cyclist has a good set of lights and high-viz clothing it is perfectly safe.

Didn't intend to scaremonger. Maybe "dangerous" is an exaggeration in the general sense but I've experienced dangerously close overtakes on that hill. However, it's certainly not wide enough and there is no hard shoulder - rather a deep un-protected drain along one section. And a right turn at the lights. Maybe we're referring to different roads.
    BTW it was daylight; lights and hi-vis irrelevant.

Didn't intend to scaremonger. Maybe "dangerous" is an exaggeration in the general sense but I've experienced dangerously close overtakes on that hill. However, it's certainly not wide enough and there is no hard shoulder - rather a deep un-protected drain along one section. And a right turn at the lights. Maybe we're referring to different roads.
    BTW it was daylight; lights and hi-vis irrelevant.

the main road to the airport? I've cycled it many times and I found it to be fine. My point about hi-vis being if cyclists wear the stuff along with lights they can contribute to their own safety rather in general. I counted 4 cyclists in a period of 10 minutes yesterday evening with no lights on their bike, at 7pm (dark).

the main road to the airport? I've cycled it many times and I found it to be fine. My point about hi-vis being if cyclists wear the stuff along with lights they can contribute to their own safety rather in general. I counted 4 cyclists in a period of 10 minutes yesterday evening with no lights on their bike, at 7pm (dark).

As I suspected, you mis-interpreted my route suggestion.
    I complimented the choice of the route through Grange. Then I offerred the route through Ballybrack woods as a scenic alternative to the section Douglas West to Grange Hill junction.
    Consider that again for a moment instead of jumping in with the "cycling isn't dangerous" mantra - which I didn't claim BTW.

As I suspected, you mis-interpreted my route suggestion.
    I complimented the choice of the route through Grange. Then I offerred the route through Ballybrack woods as a scenic alternative to the section Douglas West to Grange Hill junction.
    Consider that again for a moment instead of jumping in with the "cycling isn't dangerous" mantra - which I didn't claim BTW.

not going to bother arguing with ya, relax.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

not going to bother arguing with ya, relax.

Well you're completely wrong so no point arguing anyway.

The suggestion through the woods is a good one, that hill is not a great spot to be cycling up

• Advertisement
Advertisement