Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exemptions for degree course

Options
  • 05-11-2017 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there can help. I have a FETAC 6 Major award in Supervision in Childcare passed with distinctions in all subjects. I've since changed career paths and I'm now in the civil service. I've noticed on a lot of the campaigns for higher positions, a degree is a prerequisite to applying. Does anyone know if you can use your studies in other areas towards exemptions in say a Managment or business degree?? I'm open to the type of degree to study but I'm thinking that a degree in Early Childhood Education is not going to benefit me in my new role/career path.

Any help or advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Skweefie wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there can help. I have a FETAC 6 Major award in Supervision in Childcare passed with distinctions in all subjects. I've since changed career paths and I'm now in the civil service. I've noticed on a lot of the campaigns for higher positions, a degree is a prerequisite to applying. Does anyone know if you can use your studies in other areas towards exemptions in say a Managment or business degree?? I'm open to the type of degree to study but I'm thinking that a degree in Early Childhood Education is not going to benefit me in my new role/career path.

Any help or advice or input is greatly appreciated.

Exemptions usually work on the basis of learning outcomes. Each module you have studied within the FETAC award would have learning outcomes, as would the modules you study in the degree programme. Your Level 8 degree would normally have some Level 6 modules (generally speaking, the first 2 years of the 4-year programme).

If there is a rough match between the learning outcomes of the Level 6 FETAC modules and the Level 6 degree modules, you may be able to get exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

thanks for response... at least I know what to look for now. Now on to deciding which degree to go for :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 James Nelson

you also should be prepared that it's not that easy, you may need some help especially if you'll work at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

you also should be prepared that it's not that easy, you may need some help especially if you'll work at the same time

Anything that's worth doing is usually hard work. Just get the head down for a few years and the benefits will come.

Advertisement