Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1911 Census: Appearing twice

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

John is a confectioner and his father a butcher according to the 1906 record of his marriageto Dora.
    When did he change job?

Esther b. 1906 father's occupation - baker
    Anne b. 1908 father's occupation - baker
    Ellen b. 1911 father's occupation - labourer
    Joseph b. 1912 father's occupation - baker
    Charles Christopher father's occupation - confectioner

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A confectioner is a baker that makes cakes instead of bread. Substantially the same occupation. I presume the stint as a labourer was between main jobs.

I mean the change from the forge to the kitchens.

The OP states that blacksmith is the correct occupation as per first linked 1911 census return.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

The blacksmith and the baker were two different guys. The blacksmith married Dora Doyle on 21 Feb 1909, Dublin. https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1909/10009/5640219.pdf

That's what I thought but I was damned if I could find the marriage of the other couple.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Nicely solved everyone!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Being recorded twice in the census was common enough, but impossible to quantify.

In my own history, two brothers, publicans, and cousins of my grandfather, were listed both in their pub and in their family home. Presumably their mother recorded them assuming they had been, would be or should be at home later in the night.

It is very difficult to be certain of somebody being counted twice, unless a prominent citizen with an uncommon name. Daniel Tallon, Lord Mayor of Dublin for two years before the turn of the century, is recorded at home as well as on retreat with the Jesuits in Milltown Park. Perhaps he was expected to spend Sunday night there and went home prematurely, or maybe he filled in his home return, assuming that the Jesuits would not list him.

The real problem is the other side of the coin, somebody not filling a form, in the mistaken belief that he or she has been recorded at another address.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

Mollymoo19 nailed it - there WERE two John Roches married to a Dora. I was following the wrong couple. Textbook error. Many thanks everyone who responded so enthusiastically!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

Just as a little sad byeline to the topic, John Roche the blacksmith died in 1916 aged just 33, and his wife Dorah went on to be 44 years a widow...

Advertisement