Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will laminate flooring, in sunlight, warp and lift?

Options
  • 04-11-2017 4:12pm

Howdy folks.

I am mid-extension. It's an add-on to the kitchen. The rear of the house (where the extension is) faces west and at sunset a lot of sun hits the rear of the house.

The extension is getting a 10ft wide sliding door. I predict, in the evening, a fair bit of sun coming in, and the warmth it brings with it, through the glass on the door.

I want to put laminate flooring down. I like the look of tiles, but find that every house I've been in with them, they're always freezing cold. I regularly walk barefoot around the house, and laminate is nice and warm underfoot.

At the moment the floor in the kitchen is lino, so it's not affected by the sun it seems.

I want to put down laminate, but I am worried that the heat from the sun in one particular area (through the glass of the door) could cause issue? I know laminate contracts/expands all the time anyway, but with a specific area getting targeted by the sun, am I walking myself into a problem?

Anyone have any experience with this by any chance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

If the floor is put down right it will be fine get good quality laminate. The heat from the sun wont hurt it. Make sure whoever is fitting it knows what their doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭geecee

I put a decent quality laminate floor down in my south facing living room around 10 years ago...

My balcony windows are full length the 3 panels are 11 ft wide in total...

Flooring is still in as good condition as the day it went down... despite getting midday sun all day every day for 10 years

Cheers folks. I have some foam mats in a shed in the garden, and they get a bit of this evening sunlight, and the heat has them up all over the place (just inside the door/glass, though, the rest that are in the shade are grand) and when I was looking at flooring online, i had one of those 'oh no' kinda moments. haha.

On the flooring front, does anyone have any advice on what kinda laminate? I want a grey wood effect, which is easy to find, thankfully. Was gonna get something like this, as 12mm seems to be the thickest about (and presumably will be harder wearing)?

https://www.donedeal.ie/carpets-for-sale/12mm-stone-oak-laminated-flooring/16438782

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Always have a look at the laminate you want in person because there are a million different kinds in different shades, maybe take a sample with you and put it down where it's supposed to be. Get a good fitter.
    Laminate on the ground can be quite cold too, I have a house with lots of laminate and it's warmer than tiles obviously but it's not the miracle recipe there.

On a personal note, I don't know if you're planning to put the kitchen on the laminate: I wouldn't. In the kitchen you have moisture, splashes and the like, a few things that don't go too well with laminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,769 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LirW wrote: »
    Always have a look at the laminate you want in person because there are a million different kinds in different shades, maybe take a sample with you and put it down where it's supposed to be. Get a good fitter.
    Laminate on the ground can be quite cold too, I have a house with lots of laminate and it's warmer than tiles obviously but it's not the miracle recipe there.

On a personal note, I don't know if you're planning to put the kitchen on the laminate: I wouldn't. In the kitchen you have moisture, splashes and the like, a few things that don't go too well with laminate.

You have to put fibre underlay down and a reasonable amount. It sounds like you have that crap stuff 5mm foam. Which means cold cold cold.

Also it performs fine in kitchens and is designed to Handle spills and splashes.

Just don't submerse in water for extended periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have laminate floor down 4 years in sunroom + still perfect. Gets plenty of sun as name suggests. Do make sure you spend the money on a good quality one though as according to my husband this makes all the difference + as others said make sure you get it fitted properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

listermint wrote: »
    You have to put fibre underlay down and a reasonable amount. It sounds like you have that crap stuff 5mm foam. Which means cold cold cold.

Fair point, we're just renovating and the previous owner had laminate on the concrete with only the thin underlay - not a good idea. So OP, get decent insulation, will cost you a bit more but it's so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

If the floor is put down right it will be fine get good quality laminate. The heat from the sun wont hurt it. Make sure whoever is fitting it knows what their doing.

thats the key,

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

Cheers folks. I have some foam mats in a shed in the garden, and they get a bit of this evening sunlight, and the heat has them up all over the place (just inside the door/glass, though, the rest that are in the shade are grand) and when I was looking at flooring online, i had one of those 'oh no' kinda moments. haha.

On the flooring front, does anyone have any advice on what kinda laminate? I want a grey wood effect, which is easy to find, thankfully. Was gonna get something like this, as 12mm seems to be the thickest about (and presumably will be harder wearing)?

https://www.donedeal.ie/carpets-for-sale/12mm-stone-oak-laminated-flooring/16438782

Thickness is not equal to quality. That particular floor has a wear rating of AC3, you need to be looking to get AC4 or higher. The quality doubles when you go from AC3 to AC4. Have a look through some of my older posts for some more information on it. Alternatively fire me a PM with the floor you are thinking of getting and I will let you know what the quality is like.

~tb

tenbob1 wrote: »
    Thickness is not equal to quality. That particular floor has a wear rating of AC3, you need to be looking to get AC4 or higher. The quality doubles when you go from AC3 to AC4. Have a look through some of my older posts for some more information on it. Alternatively fire me a PM with the floor you are thinking of getting and I will let you know what the quality is like.

~tb

Can I ask how you know that that particular floor is AC3 rated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭tenbob1

Hi KKV,

We display over 600 laminates in our store, I am familiar with that particular product.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

geecee wrote: »
    despite getting midday sun all day every day for 10 years
    How does that work?!?

Advertisement