Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

What pitch is not a 'Flat Roof'?

• 04-11-2017 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ kev1234

Hi,

I am planning a single storey extension to my 3 bed semi detached house. Due to the size and layout of the extension it would seem that a flat roof is the best solution. The typical pitched roofs or lean to's will impact on the second storey windows.

I spoke with my insurance company and they said that if the flat roof constitutes less than 30% of the overall roof then it should not affect my premium. Between 30-50% will raise my premium and over 50% is unlikely to be covered.

What pitch of roof is not considered to be flat? Is there a defined pitch in any guidelines? I know all flat roofs have a slight pitch for run off but at what degree can a roof no longer be defined as flat?

Thanks,
    Kev

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 15,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

Generally 10 degrees. Anything below = flat. Anything above = pitched.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ kev1234

Great thanks. So I could potentially put a 12 degree pitch on the rear of the house and as far as insurance is concerned it can be considered pitched?

I have heard that openable Velux windows should aim for a pitch of at least 18-20 degrees so would I be better with fixed skylights at a lower pitch?

Advertisement