Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could Katie Taylor sell out the Aviva?

Options
  • 04-11-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭

I'd an argument with my sig other last night.

She knows nothing about boxing or the promotion of sports but she thinks because the papers and news are fawning over Katie that this could happen. Rumours abound.

In my view it is farcical to even contemplate such an event without putting a big name male world title fight as the main event.

She couldn't put arses in seats at the the citywest after her 2012 triumph, they had to put put back the boxing stadium.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I'd highly doubt she'd sell out the Aviva

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Listen I think Katie is class , a World Champ.

But reality needs to hit here. Nobody pays an attendence fee or 25 quid on PPV to see Womens Boxing. This is why they're placed on the undercard of big time events.

As a stand alone they don't draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Would struggle to sell out the 3Arena in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Zero chance she'd sell out the Aviva, or any reasonable sized venue. While Katie is obviously relatively well known, none of her opponents would be (aside from maybe the British Olympic girl, who's name escapes me) & like it or not very few people give a care about womens boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think it'd have to be Holly Holm in order to sell. Get the MMA bandwagoners on board too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,770 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I certainly wouldn't be paying for it...

To date the standard of opponent has been very poor, "WC" included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

No chance. As talented as she is, Im not sure there is enough demand for any Irish boxer to sell out that stadium.

Hearn and Sky really are trying to push her as a mainstream star but the reality is she isnt. On both Joshua cards the Sky pundits have talked about how the stadium went crazy when she fought, but Ive a friend who was close to ringside for both, and he said it was no louder than any of the low undercard fights. The mainstream sports fan doesnt seem to have warmed to her yet - not that they wont eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Her next fight will be in Ireland and she will be headlining it, it'll be on sky sports and not ppv according to Eddie Hearn last night

Her next fight will be in Ireland and she will be headlining it, it'll be on sky sports and not ppv according to Eddie Hearn last night

I thought he had said she was out again in London in December before coming back to Ireland in the new year, but maybe thats changed

No chance. As talented as she is, Im not sure there is enough demand for any Irish boxer to sell out that stadium.

Hearn and Sky really are trying to push her as a mainstream star but the reality is she isnt. On both Joshua cards the Sky pundits have talked about how the stadium went crazy when she fought, but Ive a friend who was close to ringside for both, and he said it was no louder than any of the low undercard fights. The mainstream sports fan doesnt seem to have warmed to her yet - not that they wont eventually.

They are really over doing the hype with her, and you can see it's not real or genuine. Falling over themselves to say how amazing she is...it comes across too forced and lacking sincerity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd an argument with my sig other last night.

She knows nothing about boxing or the promotion of sports but she thinks because the papers and news are fawning over Katie that this could happen. Rumours abound.

In my view it is farcical to even contemplate such an event without putting a big name male world title fight as the main event.

She couldn't put arses in seats at the the citywest after her 2012 triumph, they had to put put back the boxing stadium.

Zero chance she would sell out the Aviva. If the tickets were free it wouldn't fill for a Taylor main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

nah - I mean - is there really that much interest in women's boxing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

That's what Eddie said he wants to find out, he wants to know can she draw on t.v. on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,139 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I wouldn't have that much interest in it myself. I'd have gone to see her in the stadium sooner than I'd go to the the Point or whatever. I've never been in the Aviva so I don't know how many it would hold.

That said, for these big events that do sell out it tends to be the general public. Loads of "Ole Ole" 'ers . All that crowd need is the hype and a few pints.

Could she fill the Point? I'm not sure. Could she draw a very big crowd there? I think she could if it's given the proper momentum/promotion. Remember how Bernard Dunne went from being out on his feet against some Eastern European (Yuri Veronin I think his name was) in the stadium to the Point about 2 years later? Then he was beaten and was relegated to Castlebar before back to filling the Point. Not many of the general public would ever have heard of him until long after he came back from America.

Maybe they'd have it earlier in the evening and have cheaper tickets for kids/families or something? I mean as in main event at 6 or 7pm. Target another type of crowd. Have a look at the crowds in this video below. Fair enough, it's an Olympic final but was there a similar video for Rio when those two rowers were in their final? I mean was there a park somewhere with a big screen and packed with thousands of people watching it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

As someone posted previously, Katie couldn't fill the Aviva if the tickets were for free....if she was the support fight to Joshua v Parker let's say, then she would help draw numbers alright, but a card with her as the top of the bill..the 3arena is about as much as she could fill here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Chatting to random Bulgarian boxing enthusiast with poor English in obscure empty jazz bar in Plovdiv. He reacted with such enthusiasm when I mentioned Katie Taylor’s name. Don’t underestimate her completely.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Chatting to random Bulgarian boxing enthusiast with poor English in obscure empty jazz bar in Plovdiv. He reacted with such enthusiasm when I mentioned Katie Taylor’s name. Don’t underestimate her completely.

No one doubts shes known by boxing enthusiasts. Its the 40k odd casual supporters she would need to fill the Aviva that are the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Let’s see if she can fill York Hall before we book the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Under normal conditions she wouldn't even come close to selling out The Point.
    Given the right conditions, opponent (e.g. someone like Holm), Sky's marketing team going into overdrive and the Irish press hyping it non stop she could indeed sell out Lansdowne rd.

The York Hall show she's headlining would likely sell out without her on it. It's a small venue ~1,200 but should be full. However if that card was at the National Stadium I'm not necessarily convinced it'd be sold out, with the current level of media attention it's getting that is.
    That's the effect marketing has on the average person, the difference between 2,000 (boxing fans) and 50,000 (mostly event junkies) showing up to an event.

The actual in ring action is just not all that appealing, plus the fact that she's 200-1 on in these fights. Even the casuals will smell rats here...

So, she'd need to really be meeting a known and hyped opponent who is an actual challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

pac_man wrote: »
    I'm hearing people talk about Katie Taylor and these people don't follow boxing, so I reckon shes become more popular. Is it enough to sell out the Aviva, I very much doubt it. Hearn is thinking about putting her next fight in York Hall, so it's a bit on a contrast. If her fights were regularly on our national broadcaster, I'd still pretty much doubt it.

For reference if anyone else didn't know off hand...
    Aviva capacity - 51,200
    York Hall capacity - 1,200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

No chance might not be a popular view to some but reality is most people even those with an interest in boxing don't care about women's boxing, standard is far too weak to get excited about. Carl Frampton couldn't sell the Aviva out and he's a much bigger ticket seller then Katie. Being well known is one thing people wanting to fork out to go and watch you is another.

Advertisement