Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I be asked about child care in an interview

Options
  • 04-11-2017 4:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I had an unusual question in an interview today. I have been living abroad for 3 year and recently moved back to Ireland. My sister recently died and since our parents are both deceased and my nieces father is no longer in the picture I, as their uncle, became their legal guardian. I was asked why i moved back to Ireland and I explained the situation. At first I said it was due to personal family issues (using those words). They then as what they were. It seemed odd to me but figured ok they want to be sure I wasn't fired or whatever so I explained the situation. They then asked if my child care situation would affect my ability to work in the position. I was taken aback and simply said that no it would not but then the interviewer pushed the question asking what my plans for child care was. The position was a middle management position, monday to friday, 9 to 5, which (I feel) i am more than qualified for and have worked in similar roles but I am wondering if the interviewer is allowed ask this question in the 1st place. I did explain that I had a support network in place, my husband who will continue to work from home as he has done previously, and my requirements to my nieces as their guardian wouldn't affect my ability in the position. Judging by the facial expression made by the interviewer, an eye raise and shake of the head, I feel like they felt I wasn't a good candidate because I had outside commitments. 
    So my question is can they even ask what my child care situation is? Have any single fathers or guardians been asked this before? Is it a question single mothers get asked and how did/do you handle it? It just seemed to me that up until that point the interview was going great and after the tone completely shifted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The interviewer would be on thin ice and I'd assume a more competent interviewer might have smiled and said nothing while mentally putting your application through the shredder.

Then again, you're the one who brought up your family situation.
    "Why did you move home? Oh i seemingly gained custody of a few kids and now I'm applying for a full-time middle management job".. so maybe the mgr wanted to clarify that you had childcare in place.

You're possibly incorrectly classifying a management job as 9-5 , and maybe the interviewer picked up on that. While certain companies have good work life balances Many do not. The question might have been "do you realise that childcare closes at 6pm yet we expect you to be in the office til 7pm on a good day"

But, you are correct. The interviewer should not have asked that question. There are smarter ways to ask the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

The interviewer 100% should not have asked you this, any competent interviewer would know it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of family status and would have steered well clear of such overt questions.

It is common enough, plenty of companies fall afoul of the equality authority for this kind of questioning, and the interviewer was a moron to go down this path, your child care arrangements are none of their business.

Personally I would just avoid bringing it up in future interviews, when asked why you're back, just say to be closer to family, or family reasons.
    If you wanted to query the line of questioning with them you'd be well within your rights, it's really up to you how you want to proceed, it could be more hassle than it's worth. I'd do it, but I work in HR so I'd expect more from fellow HR professionals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

If I was interviewer, use of the phrase "personal family issues" in an interview while not a show stopper, would have raised a flag. While a good employer should make accommodations for employees, some employees seem to think all home issues take precedence over business needs.

The line of questioning I'd take would be to outline work scenarios (depending on role) such as working late without notice, occasional weekend work, foreign travel and see how the candidate reacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Do you think if referring to your husband may have been an issue? I mean it shouldn't but could've?

I took a year out in 2012 and said I was in a situation as an only child where both my parents were ill. This was partly true but I also had a pretty good couple of months travelling. Anyway at a recent interview I was asked as what would happen as my parents are now older. I instantly had to invent intricate tales of carers . I would've been better sticking to a gap year story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I don’t think any of these questions about caring for parents or children are legal. Ireland really has no interview training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

As somebody else has said here, the interviewer here has not been very professional.
    As an interviewer myself certain answers from candidates raise concerns and “personal family issues” or any variation on that theme is one of them.
    If the “personal family issue” was so vexatious as to cause you to uproot yourself from where you were and come to Ireland then it’s a possibility that it will cause you to need a lot of time off etc.
    Think of a less ominous response to these questions before the next interview

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

I think as you mentioned the kids you opened the door for interviewer to ask additional questions. The questions do seem very unprofessional. Next time try be more prepared with an answer. Perhaps mention that you had a recent family bereavement and you made the decision to be closer to family, keep to the truth but don't leave room for them to pry any further. You shouldn't be asked about family circumstances. I have had interviewers skirt around family questions but not ask directly I suspect in the hope I would volunteer information.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Family status is one of the 9 grounds for discrimination in this country. As is sexual orientation. So assuming you didn't get the role you theoretically could take case on the grounds that you didn't get the job due to discrimination.

However I would say you would have little success. I personally would ask for feedback on the interview from the company.

Whatever feedback they give you would be likely what they would give to answer to any case against them. If it's just you didn't have the correct skill set or that there were enter candidates it is very hard to prove discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

christy02 wrote: »
    Family status is one of the 9 grounds for discrimination in this country. As is sexual orientation. So assuming you didn't get the role you theoretically could take case on the grounds that you didn't get the job due to discrimination.

However I would say you would have little success. I personally would ask for feedback on the interview from the company.

Whatever feedback they give you would be likely what they would give to answer to any case against them. If it's just you didn't have the correct skill set or that there were enter candidates it is very hard to prove discrimination.

It’s very hard and it’s very very stressful.
    If you don’t get the job then you’ll get the next one because your better able to play the game.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Huge mistake to ask something like this on an interview.

Candidate not getting the job could claim it’s because of it.

All an investigation would need is a male applicant not asked same question and it’s a short walk to a discrimination award.

Easy money for a decent solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

_Brian wrote: »
    Huge mistake to ask something like this on an interview.

Candidate not getting the job could claim it’s because of it.

All an investigation would need is a male applicant not asked same question and it’s a short walk to a discrimination award.

Easy money for a decent solicitor

Not a typical "family status" situation and op said she "had to move home" because of the sad passing of a family member. The op opened the door on what is a sad and unfortunate situatior. I'm not sure it would be "easy money" for a solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

The op is a he

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

davo10 wrote: »
    Not a typical "family status" situation and op said she "had to move home" because of the sad passing of a family member. The op opened the door on what is a sad and unfortunate situatior. I'm not sure it would be "easy money" for a solicitor.

Maybe not, but incompetent and amateurish from an interviewer. Whatever the business is, this reflects dreadfully on them. You may dodge a bullet there OP, in favour of a job at a better managed organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭irishmoss

davo10 wrote: »

No, it was not a typical "family status" situation as the OP is a he not a she.

The OP is right to feel aggrieved, any woman would be outraged if they were asked that question.

I don't think going to a solicitor will solve anything though. I would move on and not mention this in other interviews.

Advertisement