Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VOIP/IP/DECT :- Which to chose with fibre to the home

Options
  • 04-11-2017 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi,

My DSL broadband will very shortly be upgraded to fibre directly to the house.

I currently do have a home landline number and I am trying to make a decision as to whether to keep the copper phone line connected or should I go with a VOIP system instead.

The only phones that my landline is connected to are three DECT wireless handsets but I understand that the ones that I have will not work over VOIP.

I do not fully understand what is the difference between an IP wireless phone and a VOIP wireless phone. I would also like to know if a Gigaset C430A is a safe purchase for a fibre-to-the-home system.

I think for family reasons it will probably be necessary to keep the landline number rather than depend on something like a Skype system.

Thanks to anyone who can clear the mist a little for me on this technology.

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

davidod1 wrote: »
    Hi,

My DSL broadband will very shortly be upgraded to fibre directly to the house.

I currently do have a home landline number and I am trying to make a decision as to whether to keep the copper phone line connected or should I go with a VOIP system instead.

The only phones that my landline is connected to are three DECT wireless handsets but I understand that the ones that I have will not work over VOIP.

I do not fully understand what is the difference between an IP wireless phone and a VOIP wireless phone. I would also like to know if a Gigaset C430A is a safe purchase for a fibre-to-the-home system.

I think for family reasons it will probably be necessary to keep the landline number rather than depend on something like a Skype system.

Thanks to anyone who can clear the mist a little for me on this technology.

Dave

Your regular phones will work with the VOIP system. They simply plug into the router. However I am unsure if you can port your current number to the new system yet. Best to clarify that with your provider before switching.

This assumes you are referring to the VOIP system provided by eir etc. For third party providers you would need an ATA for your current phones to work or alternatively an IP phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The router you receive with the new fibre connection will have a 'phone port' to which you can plug in any standard phone or DECT base station.
    Some routers, such as Ftitz!box, have built in DECT base stations.

So there should be no need whatsoever for an 'IP Phone' or any adapter to allow you to use an ordinary phone or DECT set of phones.

Do you intend to take your VOIP phone service from your broadband provider?
    If so then you need do nothing as it should all 'just work'.

Some difficulties could arise if you wish to use a separate VOIP provider for your phone.
    In that case it might be necessary for you to keep the old phone line for a short period to allow you time to make the arrangements (after fibre is installed) to 'port' your phone number to another provider and cancel your telephone line.
    Doing this does put the effective control of your phone number in your hands, and you can choose to change providers at any time (depending on contract arrangements of course).
    You could also use two different services .......

1. to receive calls to your phone number and pass them through to a free VOIP account which costs nothing or very little.

2. to make calls - selecting the service that offers the best rates for the calls you make. This can show the caller ID as your phone number, so nothing odd is ever seen by anyone else.

The potential difficulty in all of this is that some broadband providers lock down their routers and prevent the customer from accessing the settings to set up their own phone system as suits them, only allowing their own VOIP service on their routers.

Either avoid those providers or replace their router with something YOU control, would be my advice. ;)

I have been using VOIP for many years on my ADSL line ...... it saves me hundreds every year compared to making those calls using eircom/eir.

With a bit of effort initially it is not too difficult to achieve.

Good luck with your fibre!
    I am jealous :p

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭davidod1

Thanks for your answer NAVI. All information helps.
    The router you receive with the new fibre connection will have a 'phone port' to which you can plug in any standard phone or DECT base station.

I am jealous :p

Thanks Johnboy1951. It looks like I'll have the option to keep the DECT phone then. I'll need to check if they will make a reduction in the overall bundle charge if I was to drop the phone line; and if there is; what will be the charge for VOIP; if any. They would also need to allow me to keep the existing phone number.

## I'm jealous of me too. ##

Dave

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

davidod1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your answer NAVI. All information helps.

Thanks Johnboy1951. It looks like I'll have the option to keep the DECT phone then. I'll need to check if they will make a reduction in the overall bundle charge if I was to drop the phone line; and if there is; what will be the charge for VOIP; if any. They would also need to allow me to keep the existing phone number.

## I'm jealous of me too. ##

Dave

If you don't use VoIP from your broadband provider, there is the option of choosing a VoIP provider separately. I suspect bundled phone + broadband will be cheaper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

However I am unsure if you can port your current number to the new system yet. Best to clarify that with your provider before switching.

Recently move the office landlines to a VOIP system provided by Goldfish.ie and they ported our existing numbers to the new system as part of the package. As above, check with your provider prior to buying the system, but it should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

smacl wrote: »
    Recently move the office landlines to a VOIP system provided by Goldfish.ie and they ported our existing numbers to the new system as part of the package. As above, check with your provider prior to buying the system, but it should be ok.

I was specifically referring to the new VoBB service provided by eir. As you say porting to third party providers should cause no issue.

Advertisement