Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solus , a linux distro

Options
  • 03-11-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

FYI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solus_(operating_system)

As most of you know, I'm a huge Linux fan and I tend to try every distribution as it is released. Recently, I decided to give the Solus distribution a try. Solus has been rapidy gaining ground in the rankings on the popular Distrowatch website and as such, I felt like now was a good time to share my thoughts with a Solus Budgie 3 Review.
    Solus is a unique distribution in that it is written from scratch, something we don't see that often anymore. Most new distributions tend to choose from either Debian, Ubuntu (technically they are the same thing to some extend), Arch or something else. Very rarely do we see a new "from scratch" distribution. Not only that, very rarely do we see a GOOD from scratch distribution.
    Solus has been out for a couple of years now and version 3 is the currently available version with 4 coming fairly soon. The Budgie desktop, developed by the Solus team, is an elegant desktop built using GTK+. The next version, however, will be built using Qt 5, C++, and Wayland, which should be interesting to see how that changes things.

https://www.cmscritic.com/solus-budgie-3-review-stable-fast-and-slick/

1024px-Solus_3_Budgie_Desktop_Screenshot.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Great distro produced by one of our own - Ikey Doherty.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭niallb

Worztron wrote: »
    Great distro produced by one of our own - Ikey Doherty.

Often to be heard on the "Late Night Linux" podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

niallb wrote: »
    Often to be heard on the "Late Night Linux" podcast

Yes, I always listen to that show. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement