Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal ?

Options
  • 03-11-2017 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I had a prescription that wasn't valid because my GP hadn't filled it out properly.

So I brought it back to my GPs clinic and the receptionist rewrote the prescription.

I'm just wondering if this is legal ? I thought Doctors were the only people who could legally write prescriptions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Was anything materially changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Did the doctor sign the new prescription? Receptionists will often type out/write scripts and then the doctor signs them

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Patient11

Was anything materially changed?

The receptionist had to rewrite the prescription in the correct format.

Did the doctor sign the new prescription? Receptionists will often type out/write scripts and then the doctor signs them

No the receptionist just wrote the prescription and then stamped it.

I feel sorry for this woman.

Maybe she should of said she was a qualified receptionist in her defence.

Now that receptionists are writing prescriptions.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-under-stress-lost-clarity-of-thought-when-she-forged-gps-prescription-36218599.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I wonder whether this relates to a prescription where the drug dose/amount needed to be written in numbers and words, and the doctor forgot the word bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Patient11 wrote: »
    I had a prescription that wasn't valid because my GP hadn't filled it out properly.

So I brought it back to my GPs clinic and the receptionist rewrote the prescription.

I'm just wondering if this is legal ? I thought Doctors were the only people who could legally write prescriptions ?

That post looks like you've a problem with that GP and are looking for any bit of leverage to get what you want ( ......hence straight for the legal )

But the problem I have now is that my GP has retired and the new GP I saw today won't even entertain the idea of putting me on sleeping tablets.

My Doctor has had me on sleeping tablets for last 5 years for my chronic insomnia.

These tablets have helped me deal with my insomnia and lead some what of a normal life.

But the problem I have now is that my GP has retired and the new GP I saw today won't even entertain the idea of putting me on sleeping tablets.

He said the authorities have got very strict in Ireland and don't want doctors prescribing sleeping tablets anymore.

Not sure if that was BS just to get me out of his office ?

Is there anyway I can get sleeping tablets legitimately prescribed ?

I don't want to break the law but if I can't get them through legit sources I will be forced to look at other means of getting them.

I find this whole clamp down on "z drugs" a bit of a joke when they are been sold openly on the street.

Would it help my case if I go to a new Doctor and can prove I was legitimately prescribed sleeping tablets for the last 5 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Vorsprung wrote: »
    I wonder whether this relates to a prescription where the drug dose/amount needed to be written in numbers and words, and the doctor forgot the word bit.

Almost certainly. That is the number one reason why prescriptions don’t meet the legal requirements especially since the changes in the legal category of benzodiazepines.
    We don’t know how much rewriting was involved but it still sounds odd. The usual practice is that all changes are counter-signed or at least initialed. Otherwise there is no way of knowing if it has been altered without the knowledge of the prescriber.

gctest50 wrote: »
    That post looks like you've a problem with that GP and are looking for any bit of leverage to get what you want ( ......hence straight for the legal )

The two issues are NOT related.

This was a different GP I saw for a separate issue.

If anyone was going to get into trouble it would most likely be the receptionist who I don't have a problem with.

But I find it odd that she was able to write me a prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

But I find it odd that she was able to write me a prescription.

It does seem odd. I'm presuming that a receptionist can't legally sign a prescription, so that would mean that she forged the doc's signature?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

If it happened exactly as you describe I do not think it was legal.

Advertisement