Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance needs to be looked at in Ireland

Options
  • 03-11-2017 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all.
    I an driving for 20+ years, no claims etc etc. Was told today by one of the largest insurance companies that they can't quote for my Honda Accord. The reason I was given. " we cant quote for that specific model its engine maybe too big". Its a standard 2.2L diesel accord!!
    We are all mandated to have car insurance but the companies supplying insurance are taking the p!zz . In my opinion we need our government to get involved in this industry and sort it out. For example in New Zealand you don't need insurance at all. The government takes care of medical and loss of earning after an accident from the ACC tax. The claim culture and the rest of the bull doesn't exist there.
    Time we starting looking at alternative like New Zealand. What do you think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I agree.

Car insurance situation in Ireland is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Government wont do much , no back bone, but agreed something has to be done, giving silly reasons not to insure someone or ridiculous quotes, car to old, engine to big, person to young, person to old, were you live, what you do for a living,
    never ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Couldn't agree more.

What does it matter if my car has a 2.2 engine. I'm nearly 50, am a responsible adult and have been driving crash free for 25 years.

Why do they assume I'm going to crash now? I would be as likely to crash a 1.0 car as a 2.2.

Its all a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

pmeade1 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    I an driving for 20+ years, no claims etc etc. Was told today by one of the largest insurance companies that they can't quote for my Honda Accord. The reason I was given. " we cant quote for that specific model its engine maybe too big". Its a standard 2.2L diesel accord!!
    We are all mandated to have car insurance but the companies supplying insurance are taking the p!zz . In my opinion we need our government to get involved in this industry and sort it out. For example in New Zealand you don't need insurance at all. The government takes care of medical and loss of earning after an accident from the ACC tax. The claim culture and the rest of the bull doesn't exist there.
    Time we starting looking at alternative like New Zealand. What do you think ?

It will never happen too many greasy fingers in the till,

It would be great, but when in the last while have the government done something for the people.

They are lobbied up to their holes by people with bigger deeper pockets than anybody on this entire website.

Nothing will change and the usual token lip service will be paid and forgotten about the next day.

Advertisement