Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace 4 apt times with NEST system

Options
  • 03-11-2017 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

I have four APT analogue timers controlling underground, upstairs, downstairs and hot water. All are separately controlled. I attached an image of what it looks like now

I am wondering is it possible to hook in a Nest system to handle all four things and replace all with one system?

Thanks,
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Yes this should be possible. Any chance of a photo of your boiler , cylinder and heating controls, valves etc

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭johnnymorgan

kramer1 wrote: »
    Yes this should be possible. Any chance of a photo of your boiler , cylinder and heating controls, valves etc

Hi Kramer. Two thermostats for underground, diff rooms.. two pics of pipes etc. The square white "boxes" are upstairs and downstairs rads.

Pic of boiler as well.

Hope thats what u meant?

Thanks,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

With the exception of the hot water, you'll probably want to put the nests int he thermostat positions.

Dardania wrote: »
    With the exception of the hot water, you'll probably want to put the nests int he thermostat positions.

Nests plural. I cant get one NEST to control all(what my question is about).. The thermostats are for underground, which frankly I don't really use. The other three timers do all the radiators and how water.. That's really what I want to control...

If it involves putting in tons of nests everywhere it might not be worth it.

The normal nest can handle a space heating zone and a hot water zone. So you could replace two of those timers e.g. put a single nest downstairs, and control the hot water and downstairs heating in one.

And if you really want, you could put a nest for upstairs, but in reality it would be the type of zone that could get away with say an APT with TRVs more easily...

• Advertisement

Thanks Dardania for the reply.

I need hot water downstairs and upstairs. the hot water is a byproduct of the heating being on, i.e if I turn on heating, water is heated also. Or can control the hot water (for whole house) with one of the APTs. So not sure if the hot water could be turned on just downstairs or upstairs seperately..

I'm kinda a bit confused at this stage lol.

My downstairs heating isnt working is why Im looking into this, when I turn on the APT the boiler doesnt start. Does for other APTs, so its probably just a new APT needed. But why I started looking at would it be better to upgrade the whole thing :S

Unless you have an extremely unusual configuration, it would be normal that when your hot water control is on, you have hot water available all over the house.
    So in that sense, if you fitted a single nest, it could control, as separate items, you hot water (for the entire house) and also your downstairs heating. Each one would have different on times set etc.
    See: https://nest.com/ie/thermostats/nest-learning-thermostat/overview/

With your downstairs heating failure, there are 3 main (electrical) reasons why - either your downstairs timer (APT) has failed, your motorised valve for the downstairs has failed, or your space thermostat for downstairs has failed.
    Fortunately, you can trouble shoot this a little yourself - all three of those devices (timer, motorised valve and thermostat) appear to have indicator lights that say when they work - so if you switch on each device, what doesn't light up?

Thanks Dardania for your help.

It was the actuator that was fupped. Got an electrician out to replace it and do a few other bits when here..

Heating back working again now.

Cheers,
    J

Advertisement