Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brown algae

• 02-11-2017 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭

Have an outbreak of brown algae, any idea who to eliminate it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

ted1 wrote: »
    Have an outbreak of brown algae, any idea who to eliminate it?

Nerite snails would be my solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BigAl81

More frequent water changes to keep nitrates down, and less time with the lights on to prevent growth helps for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks , the kids were leaving the light on from the morning 7am to night 20:30

Well do a 50% change tomorrow, wash the gravel etc and keep the light off.

With regards water changes is there a way of doing it without scarring the fish? I think the last few times they got a fright as I shook the gravel cleaner yoke while getting a flow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

ted1 wrote: »
    Thanks , the kids were leaving the light on from the morning 7am to night 20:30

Well do a 50% change tomorrow, wash the gravel etc and keep the light off.

With regards water changes is there a way of doing it without scarring the fish? I think the last few times they got a fright as I shook the gravel cleaner yoke while getting a flow

What kind of fish are you talking? My fish have got used to the gravel cleaner and swim so close to it that I get worried I'll suck them up.

I used to have huge problems in one of my tanks with brown algae & cloudy water. The following measures seem to have fixed it:

1. Regular water changes. I change 20% three times a week.

2. Over filtration. I have two filters running on a 60 litre tank. One filter is advertised as suitable for 40-60 litres, the other for 100 litres.

3. A couple of pothos plants (also called Devil's Ivy, available online from Johnstown Garden Centre). The leaves hang out the back & side of the tank, providing a bit of greenery, and the roots dangle down into the water. the plants suck up nitrates (main ingredient in fertiliser) and release oxygen.

4. My fluorescent tube malfunctioned, so I bought an LED light strip for €25 on adverts.ie You can dim the lights in evenings etc, or change colours.

5. I increased the water movement and oxygenation. One of my filters has a spray bar, and I added an air pump and a cheap little wave maker. The wave maker also made the tank much more interesting as the fish love to swim in its current and let themselves be carried along.

No more algae problems, crystal clear water & happy fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Easy Life Algexit will also do the trick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The best way to get rid of algae is to plant the tank ime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks all, gave the gravel, ornaments and plastic plants a rinse , changed about 50% of the water and told the kids to keep the light off when they are not there.
    I lost a tetra somewhere along the way. He was the smallest of the group. Maybe he was already dead and went out with some if the gravel or was eaten.

I’ll plant , plants shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

you should get some Algae eaters also like Neocaridina Shrimp, Siamese Algae Eater or Pleco

Advertisement